Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 190 - Edgbaston, Warwickshire and Day 191 - Chatsworth House, Derbyshire

Opening the new Lavant Road Pharmacy and Dispensary in West Sussex

Before setting off from Sussex for Scotland I stopped off to open the new pharmacy and dispensary at my local Lavant Road Surgery. The medical support I receive is outstanding when I am back in West Sussex, so it was an absolute pleasure to support all the Doctors, Nurses and Administrative staff who look after me. Following the opening of the surgery I then drove up to Edgbaston, the home of Warwickshire Cricket http://www.edgbaston.com/




I was met by the Chairman and President of Warwickshire Cricket Club and joined by a number of their management team who welcomed me to the club. I then set out to walk around Edgbaston with Fire Fighters from the West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service http://www.wmfs.net/ who accompanied me on my walk.

With Fire Fighters from West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service

It was a pleasure to be in such a historical location in the centre of Birmingham for my walk in the county of Warwickshire and on completion of the walk I then set off for Chatsworth in Derbyshire.

By the end of day 190 I had 792 miles to go.


The Coat of Arms of the Dukedom of Devonshire

The 191st day of my walk was in the stunning grounds of Chatsworth House and by kind permission of His Grace Duke of Devonshire CBE KCVO.


At Chatsworth House on the 191st day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

Chatsworth House http://www.chatsworth.org/ is a stately home in North Derbyshire and is the seat of the Duke of Devonshire and has been home to his family, the Cavendish family, since Bes of Hardwick settled in Chatsworth in 1549.

Walking within metres of wild deer in the grounds of Chatsworth House

Standing on the east bank of the River Derwent, Chatsworth looks across to the low hills that divide the Derwent and Wye valleys. The stunning house is set in expansive parkland, and backed by wooded, rocky hills rising to heather moorland.

The rain descending down as I approached Chatsworth House at the end of my walk

Chatsworth has been selected as the United Kingdom’s favourite country house several times. It was a wet and windy day, but being given full access to walk throughout the grounds was a real treat and gave me the opportunity to explore the grounds and soak up the beauty and history of this exquisite location.   


I then left Chatsworth House and drove north to Carlisle where I overnighted with my great friends, Liam and Sandra Burns. Liam is from New Balance and they have been supporting me with my footwear and funding for fuel for the BRIT Land Rover throughout my BRIT 2012 mile walk. Over the last four years my relationship with Liam and Sandra has grown closer and it was a real pleasure for me to be able to spend some quality time with them before I headed onto Scotland. By the end of Day 191 I had 786 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil