Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 192 - Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway



Before I set off for Scotland I was delighted to be joined in London by two of my BRIT Trustees, Martin Lewis and Mike Peckham. The support I receive from Darren Whittingham, Martin and Mike is quite superb and their constant advice, guidance and help are so very much appreciated. Running a charity and attempting a 2012 mile walk throughout Great Britain and Northern Ireland at the same time is not easy and the support of my Trustees ensures I am able to drive BRIT forward as best I can with flexibility and their unswerving loyalty and friendships.

With BRIT Trustees , Mike Peckham and Martin Lewis before heading to Scotland

August is going to be a tough month; thirty-five Lord Lieutenancy counties in 30 days staying in different locations each night and covering long distances in between the majority of locations. The majority of travel will be driving; however there are ferries to catch and the occasional flight to some of the more remote islands. Harder still has been the coordination by Clare who is gifting her time to organise the BRIT 2012 mile walk. Outside of the summer holidays, Schools, Colleges and Universities and a little easier to organise, however we are now reliant on individuals and organisations assisting in inviting young people they know to come and join the walks. Instead of being hosted on campuses, we are being hosted by County Councils, historic landmarks, organisations such as the RNLI, Fire & Rescue Services, Ramblers Associations, Mountain Rescue, Scouts, Guides and Armed Forces. The walks will be taking place in the heart of communities and this will be a very different experience compared to many of the other walks I have completed.


BRIT 2012 Challenge Volunteer Coordinator, Clare and my Mum, Angela,
 who is cottage-siting whilst I am away



Day 192 of my BRIT 2012 Challenge was also the first of my thirty days in Scotland and I started off in Dumfries.

Burns Statue and Greyfriars in Dumfries

Dumfries is a market town and former Royal Burgh within the Dumfries and Galloway council area of Scotland. It is near the mouth of the River Nith into the Solway Firth. Dumfries was the county town of the former county of Dumfriesshire. Dumfries is nicknamed Queen of the South and people from Dumfries are known colloquially as Doonhamers.

On arrival I was greeted by The Lord Lieutenant, Mrs Jean Tulloch, the Provost, Jack Groom, Brian Collins, Scott Grant and Claire Aiken from Dumfries and Galloway Council, Fire Fighters from Dumfries Fire Station, Dumfries & Galloway Fire & Rescue Service, Police Officers, Carol-Ann Brown from the RNLI, members of the public and young people from Dumfries.

It was a tremendously warm welcome on my first day of walking in Scotland and I am grateful to everyone for coming out to support me.


A very warm welcome in Dumfries
After my walk in the town of Dumfries, I then drove to Dumfries High School where I met Graeme Muir of Greystone Rovers Football Club and lots of young people from Dumfries where I talked about my challenge and then answered the many questions from the young people.

I finished Day 192 with 780 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil