Saturday, July 21, 2012

Days 169 to 179 - Recognising the need for balance


On Day 169 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk I drove from Oxford down to West Sussex where Chichester College were supporting the handover of Sally’s roles and responsibilities. Sally has been working as the only employed member of BRIT since the very beginning. Sally has been an integral and vital member of BRIT and has given constant support and commitment. Whilst everyone who is part of BRIT is saddened to see Sally leave, we wish her success and happiness at her new job in London. Sally will be deeply missed and we are grateful for her dedication and devotion to growing BRIT with us.

With the irreplaceable BRIT Coordinator,
 Sally Arnold, who looked after me

With the support of Lisa at Chichester College and Clare who is gifting her support to coordinate the BRIT 2012 mile challenge, we spent the day ensuring we capture all of Sally’s roles and responsibilities so that that with support of gifted services and volunteers, we can maintain the work-load and ensure there is continuity. Sally will not be replaced and therefore BRIT now runs with complete reliance on voluntary and gifted support. This will be a hard transition, however I am confident that with a smart strategy, BRIT will not be affected and we will continue to operate as we have done.

I then walked 2 miles before attending a Reception for A Celebration of Youth at Chichester Cathedral as a guest of Mike Coleman, the Chairman of West Sussex County Council. I was shattered and knew I had to complete a further 4 miles, so with Mike’s understanding, I slid away to end Day 169 with 904 miles to go.

Supporting the Scout
 Association on my BRIT 2012 mile walk

On Day 170 I walked 6 miles and then attended the West Sussex Scout Association AGM as their guest speaker. It was an opportunity for me to thank the Scout Association for their support and also to strengthen my relationship with this super youth organisation. I ended the day with 898 miles to go. On Day 171 I visited Birdham School in West Sussex to meet the young people there before attending a 4 hour medical assessment. On completion of the Assessment I walked a further 6 miles to end the day with 892 miles to go.

After walking 6 miles on Day 172 and 8 miles on Day 173 I started to feel nauseous, achy and my glands were swollen. Knowing I had to keep reducing my miles, on Day 174 I walked, but managed only 2 miles. I had returned to Sussex and had spent the weekend catching up with BRIT emails and letters, but my health was deteriorating rapidly and I could find little energy to do very much at all. Between Day 175 when I was on 876 miles to go and Day 179, I managed just 13 miles in 6 days finishing with 863 miles to go. This had been the toughest week of the BRIT 2012 mile walk so far and I felt drained and exhausted. My local Doctor’s surgery was superb and I was put on a course of Penicillin together with Ibuprofen and Paracetamol. I had lost my appetite and was mainly on fluids as I was experiencing stomach ache and a lack of sleep.

The 2012 mile walk is not only to enthuse young people across Great Britain and Northern Ireland and to raise awareness of BRIT, but it is also a display of my commitment to the 2012 businesses who I hope will take up my invitation to build the BRIT Centre of Inspiration together. Sometimes I find it very hard to find balance in resting when I have to complete the 2012 mile walk on time in December by spreading the mileage sensibly to sustain the challenge throughout the year.

I always try to be honest about my experiences as a person living with a spinal cord injury. Partially this is to take the stigma out of it and answer people’s questions and partially by talking about my injury it has helped me to come to terms with it. As I’ve been walking around Great Britain and Northern Ireland this year I’ve had to deal with numerous bladder infections and I’ve been open with people in my blog about how miserably uncomfortable they are to deal with.

In the midst of fighting this recent virus and infection, I’ve been trying to keep up to date with my work and commitments, which has proven difficult. My family and friends have all been telling me to slow down, and take care of myself. I find it hard to do though as I think about all the work I have to do to get the BRIT Centre built. In addition I think about the young people I’ve met and I know that every day the Centre isn’t built is another day that a young person is missing out on the support BRIT will be able to deliver.

So even though I find it difficult to slow down, I am coming to the realisation that I need to find a bit more balance in my life. One of my friends told me I need to learn about self-care, and so I am trying. I admit it is galling as I used to be able to do so much more, but the injury has taken some of my health from me. All of us need to find balance in our lives in order to live the best possible life we can. I wish there were 36 hours in a day, but there are not. What I can do though is take care of myself, get well, apologise to anyone that I’m not able to see when I am sick, and hope that they understand. At the end of the day, we all need to practice a little more kindness towards each other, and perhaps that lesson begins with learning how to be kind to ourselves.

Yesterday, on Day 179, I walked 6 miles for the first time in days. I felt slightly better when I woke up, but what energised me and put me firmly back on track was going to visit Polly and her parents at St Richard’s Hospital before Polly underwent an operation on both her legs. I had met Polly on my half-way walk at Chichester College and we had stayed in touch. I had given my word that I would visit Polly in hospital. It was a pleasure to spend the day with Polly and her parents, Alison and David. Polly is a brave and beautiful young lady who has endured a huge amount in a very short space of time.

With Polly at Chichester College

I don’t think Polly and many of the young people facing adversity I meet realise, is that they are the inspiration that gives me the strength to carry on. I firmly believe BRIT can be a charity run with minimal overheads. BRIT is a charity run by gifted and voluntary support and a huge amount of passion from the volunteers, young people, Mentors, Advisors and Trustees. We are working in a very different way; we rely solely on businesses to fund the BRIT Centre of Inspiration rather than compete for public donations. We want to build the Centre for charities to refer their young people. We are asking inspirational figures from every sector of society to gift their time at the Centre to inspire young people facing their darkest times.

Sometimes we all need to stop and take stock of our situations. I do recognise the need to find balance to look after myself and this is all a learning process, but one thing that I think about more than anything else is that there are young people who are in far worse situations than mine and they are struggling and suffering every day.

I cannot build BRIT alone, but with an ever increasing group of tremendous supporters around me, I know we will build BRIT together. It’s just a question of positive-thinking, hard-work and belief. Thank you for all the support over these past few days and for the positive messages and encouragement.

863 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil

P.S. Polly’s surgery went well last night and her parents let me know she is comfortable.