Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Days 129 – 139 Sustainability


Sustainability, it’s one of those words used a lot today, usually in referring to the environment, but I actually believe that the act of sustaining is something we see quite a lot of in the world. For this blog entry, I wanted to choose a theme that linked a number of things that have happened over the last 10 days of walking the BRIT 2012 mile challenge.

After a great visit to Cambridge, Day 129 saw me back in Sussex and feeling exhausted. When I am out on the road I find it exciting and rejuvenating meeting young people and the supportive British Public, but sometimes people see me walking and forget that my personal journey back from injury is still ongoing. As much as I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge and meeting everyone, I do get exhausted and the walk takes its toll physically, mentally and emotionally.

I am walking every day, but when I’m walking on the treadmill or at locations in West Sussex in between regional visits and trips, I can break up the miles throughout the day by working on BRIT projects and then walking in between. Whilst catching up on things in West Sussex, for a few days I got so busy working that I lost track of the time and found myself completing my miles in the evening. Not a good idea when it takes a long while to rehydrate and stretch!

There is, however, something sustaining about being home, in your own place where you can relax surrounded by the things that make you happy. I do believe our homes sustain us by being our safe places. Of course, as we all know, many young people grow up in places that are not safe and for them they have to find a place that will sustain them.

I finished Day 129 with 1087 miles to go.



My grandmother, Darling,
who celebrated her 91st birthday on the 8th of June 2012

On Day 130 I answered BRIT emails and did work for BRIT along with walking from home. I was able to spend part of Day 130 with my family celebrating Darling’s 91st birthday. Darling is my grandmother and the name has stuck since childhood since my sister, Lesley, heard my grandfather call her this and she has been “Darling” to all of us ever since. I did manage to get my miles in before everyone arrived and finished the day with 1083 miles to go.

I have written a little of my childhood and throughout all the difficulties back then, my grandparents, Darling & George, provided me with pure love, affection and kindness. Married during The Blitz in 1940, they were married for almost 60 years and absolutely adored each other. I have not experienced such gentleness than that which they both lived their lives by. As a family we miss my grandfather, George, very much. He was a gentleman in every sense of the word and an extraordinarily humble and tender man who made everyone he met happier for meeting him. Every time I spend with Darling is a happy one and it is never enough time. Rarely do we meet people that glow and radiate love; I listen to my friends after they meet Darling and know I am not alone in experiencing something very special in her presence and that I am so very lucky to have such a wonderful and beautiful woman as a grandmother.

A happy place is now very important to me, as much as it is for all my family to feel happy when they stay with me at the cottage. My cottage has photographs of family and friends in all the rooms and for me my cottage always feels like a happy place. In my garden there is a bench to relax on which, with the inscription of my grandparents names carved onto the back, serves as a special place to sit and reflect on the happy times we have had, we experience now and those we will create in the future.

The bench in my garden with my grandparents names

Day 131 found me still recovering, but feeling good and happy. I was able to get my miles in for the day by walking on the treadmill and finished the day with 1079 miles to go.


Day 132 found me, like most of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, celebrating Her Majesty The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. I walked throughout the morning and early afternoon and completed 4 miles to take me down to 1075 miles to go. The whole of my village turned out for a Children’s Street Party and everyone had a wonderful time. What a great Jubilee weekend for the entire country. Of course I cannot mention the Jubilee without mentioning how Her Majesty The Queen has sustained for six decades, her pledge to devote her life in service to all of us. At an age when most are enjoying their retirement, Her Majesty The Queen continues to put the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth first, leading by example and standing for all that is good in an ever-changing world. What a remarkable and historic event to unite generations and inspire millions across the world.

Her Majesty The Queen

Days 133-134 I continued work from home on BRIT and walking my miles each day. I also managed to sort the gifted BRIT Range Rover out so it would be ready for my next trip. I finished Day 134 with 1069miles to go.

Gifted BRIT Range Rober

Days 135 saw me focused on a different form of sustainability, my health. I had a four hour medical assessment and examination which felt longer than four hours! I walked before and after the appointment and finished the day with 1065 miles to go.

Day 136 saw me being interviewed together with a photo shoot by RBS. The intent, through their quarterly magazine sent to 11,000 business customers, is to encourage these businesses to Pledge their support to build the BRIT Centre of Inspirational Excellence. Sustaining connections to businesses is important as they will help to build the Centre. I ended the day by walking outside, which was not such as good idea as it was very cold and wet, but a hot shower and an early night would set things right. I finished the day with 1061 miles to go.

The BRIT Centre of Inspirational Excellence

Day 137 and I woke feeling dreadful. I went ahead with some meetings regarding potential sites for the BRIT Centre and also kept up with my other work. Had thought my early night would put things right but as the day went on I realised I had a bladder infection. They just drain the energy out of you and are so painful. My walk was a slow one and I took my time and finished the day with 1057 miles to go.

Days 138 and 139 found me continuing to fight my bladder infection and I spent most of the weekend feeling dreadful and exhausted. The Challenge requires that I sustain walking each day, so I managed to get my miles in and get packed to head out on the road for Day 140. My antibiotics had not kicked in by the end of Day 139, however by the end of Day 139 I was on 1049.

We are, each of us, sustained by the people that love us, by having passions that engage us, by living in harmony with nature and by doing something that is bigger than we are. The world can be overwhelming, but if we each help another person then we can sustain not only ourselves, but others. Please join BRIT and help us to support and provide a lifeline for young people post trauma.

My very best wishes,

Phil