Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 140 - Cheshire Campus of the Manchester Metropolitan University and Day 141 - Tatton Park, East Cheshire


I was up early to drive up North yesterday. Unfortunately my bladder infection is still giving me problems and I don’t think I’ve had one this bad for well over a year. This was Day 3 of the infection and despite antibiotics there had been no change. I had made a decision over these next 10 days or so, to reduce the mileage as my body is finding it hard to recover and this was a wise decision now the infection has set in.

For more information on Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) this is an information link page; http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/utiadult/ and this is the NHS link with a good video talking about the symptoms and treatment; http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Urinary-tract-infection-adults/Pages/Introduction.aspx

This is the Net Doctor’s website link which also provides advice and guidance; http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/menshealth/facts/urinaryinfection.htm

So, packed to tackle Cheshire, Merseyside, The Humber and Greater Manchester, I set off in the gifted BRIT Range Rover and started the drive North to the County of Cheshire.


The first three and a half hours of the drive I was met with torrential rain and spray from vehicles on the motorways. I finally left the floods and heavy rainfall behind in the South East when suddenly the rain stopped and the sky brightened and I entered the County of Cheshire with the sun shining.


My destination today was Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) campus in Cheshire http://www.cheshire.mmu.ac.uk/ The MMU is the second largest university in the UK with over 36,000 students and the Cheshire Campus has approximately 5,000 students.

With some of the staff & students of Cheshire Campus, Manchester Metropolitan University
 on Day 140 of the BRIT 2012 mile walk

I was met by the Dean of MMU Cheshire & Pro Vice Chancellor, Dennis Dunn, who kindly and warmly welcomed me to the university campus and introduced me to staff, students and members of the Olympic team from the Solomon Islands who have been training at the Department of Exercise and Sport Science http://www.cheshire.mmu.ac.uk/exspsci/ in their new £10million Sports Science facility. The 2012 Pre-Games Training Camp they provide is outstanding and you can read more on their work here; http://www.cheshire.mmu.ac.uk/2012camp/

It was a pleasure to meet Pauline Kwalea and Chris Malasi, both of whom will represent the Solomon Islands in the 100 metre events at London 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to them about their journeys from their childhood through to being international athletes as well as their experience at the Cheshire Campus of MMU.
With Solomon Island Olympic Athletes, Chris & Pauline,
at the Cheshire Campus of the Manchester Metropolitan University

I was also delighted to meet Claire Fiddeman, Faculty Marketing Officer, who assisted in hosting me for the day, and also Student Ambassadors, Sophie Jebb and Lee Hatch who gave me an insight into the courses and life on the campus.

I finished the day with 1045 miles to go.


Today, the 141st Day of the BRIT 2012 mile walk, I drove to Tatton Park in East Cheshire; http://www.tattonpark.org.uk/ Tatton Park is one of the UK’s most complete historic estates. It is home to a Tudor Old Hall, Neo-Classical Mansion, 50 acres of landscaped gardens, a rare-breed farm and 1,000 acres of deer park. Their adventure playground, events and educational programmes combine to make Tatton Park one of the most popular family days out in the North West.

Tatton Park has over 50 acres of beautiful gardens reflecting over 250 years of garden design. The gardens are renowned for their remarkable glasshouses, the Japanese Garden, considered the finest in Europe and the extensive Kitchen Gardens. Their working rare-breed farm is open for the public to see the rare breed cattle, horses, sheep, pigs, goats, poultry and donkeys.

Herds of Red and Fallow deer roam freely in 1,000 acres of parkland and the meres, woodlands and rough grassland provide a perfect habitat for wildlife. The parkland is a stunning and it was an absolute pleasure for me to walk todays BRIT 2012 miles in a beautiful location.


Tatton hosts over 100 events a year including the RHS Flower Show, Summer Picnic Concerts with the Hallé Orchestra, car shows, antiques fairs and much more. For further information, this is the link to their “What’s On” Page; http://www.tattonpark.org.uk/whats_on_at_tatton_park.aspx

I was delighted to meet Jon Wooley, Watch Manager at Knutsford Fire Station, and Fire Fighters from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service today and was also honoured that the Mayor of Knutsford, Councillor Vivien Davies, came to meet me at Tatton Park before I started my walk through the grounds. I’m looking forward to meeting more Cheshire Fire and Rescue Fire Fighters tomorrow when I walk at the University of Chester.

With the Mayor of Knutsford & Firefighters from Cheshire Fire & Rescue at Tatton Park

I finished the day with 1041 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil