Friday, April 13, 2012

Days 63-80, The South West of England & the beginning of the East of England

My apologies for not updating my blog lately. For the last three weeks I’ve been continuing to walk at locations (& due to the Easter Holidays) in West Sussex, however it feels like I’ve been falling apart at the seams with stomach cramps, a couple of urinary tract infections (UTIs) and generally feeling under the weather.  My cottage had a slow gas leak for a couple of weeks and it was undetected so I think that may have added to feeling a bit poorly and would explain a few headaches.    
On Day 68 I had the opportunity to walk at the Bath Rugby Club http://www.bathrugby.com/ , which was fantastic. Both Bath and their opponents for the day, Northampton, were welcoming. The Rugby Clubs have been great supporters of the Challenge and I really appreciate them letting me walk at the clubs.

Day 69 saw me at the 34th British Colleges Sport National Championships where I was invited to speak at the closing ceremony. This was quite an honour and I enjoyed meeting all the young people at the event. This concluded my Challenge through the South and South West of England, except for the Scilly Isles which I will return to later in the year to walk with Five Island School.

I kicked off the Challenge in the East of England on 4 April, which was Day 73. I had the pleasure of walking at Anglia Ruskin University. This was a special day for me as I was able to meet with doctors and researchers looking into cancer treatment at the Helen Rollason Cancer Center. It was really fascinating to put a gown on and go into the labs and learn about the research for Breast Cancer.
An honour meeting doctors carrying out Breast Cancer
 Research for the Helen Rollason Cancer Charity


Since receiving the BBC Sports Personality Helen Rollason Award, my relationship with the Helen Rollason Cancer Charity http://www.helenrollason.org.uk is a very special one and as a Vice Patron of the charity it is important for me to understand all aspects of their work. It was great to catch up with them. I also want to thank Rachel Moss who coordinated my day at Anglia Ruskin University. She was a great support and help.
Great supporters Alan and Geoff.

Last but not least I have to thank Alan and Geoff who drove over 173 miles to come and show their support of BRIT by walking with me. What great men! I really appreciate the support of the public.
The BBC Forum in Norwich and the great group
of young people that walked with me









Day 79 saw me up early in the morning and in the car for a long drive up to Norwich. I had a fantastic welcome there and enjoyed walking and talking with the young people that came out in support of the Challenge. Their energy and enthusiasm kept me pumped up and the return trip home went very fast. I was hosted by Momentum http://www.momentumnorfolk.org.uk/ ; a super charity supporting young people throughout Norfolk and I’m grateful to Roz for coordinating the whole day.

Day 80 saw me walking at home and I’m now at 1412 miles to go. I’ll be spending the rest of April in the East of England including walking days in West Sussex and will also include many of the East of England locations in May due to the Easter Holidays.
As you will see from the rest of the blog, I have been busy juggling my other responsibilities along with the BRIT 2012 Challenge. So here’s what’s been happening;
Making a Difference
When I first launched BRIT my focus was on making everything we do as positive as possible for young people facing adversity. I had gone through my own dark times and I was determined that the young people involved in BRIT did not dwell on difficult and often very sad experiences.  I steered BRIT away from any sympathy angle as it was not a healthy position for me personally and I wanted to protect young people from feeling used in any form of exposure to the media or the public.
Talking with students about their aspirations
for the future following completion of their courses

I am proud of how BRIT is progressing, but I realize that many people do not truly understand the need for BRIT and the challenges our young people face. As I am out on the road, young people are talking and sharing their stories with me. I am meeting hundreds of young people facing adversity each week and their experiences underpin the need for a BRIT Centre of Inspiration. I have struggled as to whether to share these stories or not as they are the driving force behind our vision, however I never want young people to feel that they are being used by BRIT to elicit an emotional response from the public. We need to find a visionary way to protect young people and at the same time, gain support for funding from businesses and also the support of the public.  

There were times after I was injured that I felt like I would never be able to escape from the “injured soldier” label.  It left me feeling disoriented, confused and on an emotional rollercoaster. I have moved on considerably since sustaining my injuries four years ago; however it is vital that one is able to move on psychologically and live a new life without living in the past.  I am pleased that the regional and national media are understanding this and that I have a new life and am determined that we focus on BRIT and young people rather than dwell on what happened to me so I am recognised for what I am striving to achieve now.
Prior to the BRIT 2012 Challenge beginning, I knew it would be difficult physically, and I was right, it is, but I don’t think I was prepared for the emotional issues I would be confronting on a daily basis. I am meeting young people that are in terrible situations or have lived through childhoods marred by neglect, abuse and maltreatment. Whilst I never expected to hear so many tragic stories, I am deeply honoured that young people feel comfortable to talk with me about their own struggles. I also believe it helps that I am being open about my own personal decision to undergo counselling to help me deal with my trauma. I am finding it helpful and hope that by being open I am encouraging young people to see that admitting you need help is not a weakness, but actually a strength. By confronting our issues and the things that trouble us we are able to put them to rest, and to move on with our lives in a positive way.
With students from Penwith College and pupils from the Humphrey Davy School in Penzance, Cornwall
I have come to realize that everyone who is introduced to BRIT applauds and supports our vision and strategy; however we need to develop strong relationships and a special bond with the public and businesses as they empathize with the young people facing adversity so that they will step up and join us in providing a visionary facility.  With the advice, experience and support from BRIT Trustee, Darren Whittingham at Start JG, BRIT Advisor, James Kydd, and BRIT Communications Advisor, Steve Earl, we are embarking on a strategy that will increase awareness of exactly what BRIT stands for and how vital it is that we build the BRIT Centre of Inspiration.
BRIT is a lifeline post-trauma for young people to help them begin their journey out of the darkness and into a world of possibilities. 
Charity Work
Even though I am busy with the Challenge I have been able to give back to other charities which I support and that is important to me. I had the opportunity to visit The Fire Fighters Charity at Harcombe House which is one of three locations which provides services for serving and retired members and their dependents of the Fire Service. It costs around £9 million a year and they receive no government support. What a truly inspirational visit!
At Harcombe House in Devon
 One of three Rehabilitation Centres run by The Fire Fighters Charity
I also took the opportunity to visit the RNLI HQ in Poole, Dorset and was able to visit the Helen Rollason Cancer Research Facility at the Anglia Ruskin University and take time to understand the vital research they are carrying out into Breast Cancer.
With RNLI Volunteers at the RNLI HQ in Poole, Dorset
BRIT 
Along with the Challenge and my ongoing participation with charities I support is the day to day running of BRIT as a charity. That does not stop just because I am on the road. I am learning how to get bursts of work done in the mornings before I walk and after my walks in the evenings. Finally I am in discussions regarding the future site for the BRIT Centre of Inspirational Excellence in West Sussex. I am looking forward to being able to make an announcement in the near future so we can launch our capital appeal for the building of the BRIT Centre of Inspiration.
The proposed rendering of the BRIT Centre of
Inspirational Excellence in West Sussex
With my very best wishes to you all for your continued support,
Phil