Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 61 - West Sussex & Day 62 - The Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Mile 2012 on The Mall, London

After a long week in Gloucestershire and Wiltshire and with 1554 miles of the BRIT 2012 Mile Challenge to go, I returned to West Sussex to stock up on medication, sort the BRIT car out and wash all the clothing and equipment I carry with me each week.  I also had to keep walking, so was in the gymnasium for most of the day to complete another 8 miles.  With the temperature high and the sun shining, it was a welcome retreat to walk inside and in the shade as I’m exposed to the elements when I walk in every county each day.
The Gymansium in West Sussex
Day 61 ended with a total of 1546 miles to go and losing an hour as the clocks went back, I was up early to travel to London to support Sport Relief and take part in the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Mile 2012  http://www.sportrelief.com/on The Mall.
At the start line for the 2012 London Sport Relief Mile
My relationship with Sport Relief started when BBC News Presenter, Kate Silverton, and I climbed the 3 Peaks in 72 hours in 2010. Following that I met Justin King, the Chief Executive of Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd and Jat Sahota, Head of Sponsorship, when I was invited to the announcement that Sainsbury’s would be sponsoring the London 2012 Paralympic Games.  It was a pleasure to see Jat Sahota and meet his family today when I had completed the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Mile.
With Actress, Kara Tointon,
 at the start of our 2012 Sport Relief Mile

With the irreplaceable BRIT
Coordinator, Sally Arnold,
 who looks after me
I took part in the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Mile in 2010 and knew it was going to be a busy day of interviews and coordination, so our BRIT Coordinator, and only BRIT member of staff, Sally Arnold, travelled to London to support me during the day.  Sally has been part of BRIT from the very beginning and works from our gifted offices at BDP in London. Sally coordinates all our daily BRIT business and also with the tremendous support from Clare and Chichester College where I am throughout Great Britain and Northern Ireland for the BRIT 2012 Challenge.  Sally is an absolute star and the Trustees and supporters of BRIT are constantly mindful of how vital Sally, our gifted support and our volunteers are to BRIT, the BRIT 2012 Challenge and all that we do.

When I arrived in London, the Sport Relief team greeted me with a very warm welcome. They ran the day magnificently and everything was planned and organised meticulously to give everyone who took part such pleasure to be there.  I bumped into lots of friends and supporters of BRIT and I throughout the day including James Cracknell, Susanna Reid and a whole host of athletes, television presenters and personalities. It was great fun and the support I received from the cheering crowds and fellow participants was both humbling and uplifting.


With Susanna Reid, Dominic Cotton
 and their family at Sport Relief 2012

The day was an unforgettable experience and I am honoured to have been invited to take part.  The Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Mile once again provided the opportunity for families, children, those with limited mobility and wheelchair users to all take part together and enjoy participating in an event celebrated throughout Great Britain and Northern Ireland which makes a huge difference, gets people active and raises much needed funds.

A very happy day in London
on The Mall supporting Sport Relief 2012







I reached Day 62 of my BRIT 2012 Mile Challenge today and finished the day on 1540 miles to go.
With my very best wishes,
Phil