Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Days 80 to 96 – West Sussex, the start of the East of England & an invitation to Special Needs Schools and to Colleges & Universities


I am about to embark on my walk in every county of the North East and complete the East of England, so before I go I wanted to update you on the last few weeks.
The BRIT Fire Fighter Jacket
 being worn at Kingsdown
 Special Needs School
 in Southend-on-Sea

As you know, the British Inspiration Trust (BRIT) operates with minimal overheads and only one paid member of staff. I rely on gifted support from businesses to keep my overheads low and from voluntary support to assist with my 2012 Mile Challenge. I am keen to involve young people at the heart of what we do and since my last blog; I met with interested student volunteers from the University of Chichester.



Interns and members of our community willing to volunteer their time, energy and enthusiasm will undoubtedly help move BRIT forward and Chichester College have very kindly agreed to provide a base for our volunteers throughout the summer. I was truly impressed by this group of young people and look forward to working with them. They are part of BRIT’s College and University Partnership Programme and will specifically be helping with the social media campaign. While I use twitter and write a blog, BRIT needs young people to reach out to other young people throughout the county as I visit each county.
A warm welcome from the young people at
Kingsdown Special Needs School in Southend-on-Sea


In addition, Shelagh Legrave, the Principle of Chichester College wrote to Martin Doel, the Chief Executive of the Association of Colleges (AOC), who has kindly given his support and written to all the Colleges within the AOC to encourage them to host me as I walk in every county of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. By hosting, I am able to walk with students and schools that the colleges want to invite and their campus becomes a hub for the day’s walk; a focal point for the county, the community and young people within their county. Colleges and Universities have been tremendous supporters and I hope this will continue in each county.

When you plan an endeavour like the BRIT 2012 Challenge, there are two things you cannot plan for, one is the weather and the other is illness. So far the weather has only resulted in one delayed visit to the Isles of Scilly. Unfortunately though, for the past couple of weeks I have been battling some internal medical issues. With internal paralysis and no bladder or bowel functions I have to be careful. I get frequent urinary tract infections, however something hasn’t been right for a considerable time so I have been walking in West Sussex to reduce my miles, walking in some East of England counties and juggling the venues in the East and North East of England which are now planned for May.

Taking time to learn and understand the
complexity of young people with special needs


What I am keen to do when I am in West Sussex is visit Special Needs Schools and local schools so I not only reduce my miles, but am able to spend time with young people, carers and staff. We are asking Special Needs Schools and Schools in West Sussex who would like me to visit, spend time with the young people and involve them with the BRIT 2012 Challenge.
Joined by schools during my visit to Essex

If you would like to be involved in assisting with the BRIT 2012 Challenge or BRIT as a charity, contact details are on the BRIT website at www.britishinspirationtrust.org.uk, BRIT is on Facebook at BRITInspiration and I am on Twitter @PhilPacker.


Checking equipment, clothing and medicationbefore packing for Month 5 of the BRIT 2012 Challenge and departing for the North East of England
1278 miles to go!

Wishing everyone a very happy May,

Phil