Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 52 & Day 53 – Plymouth

I stayed in Penzance on Wednesday evening ready to fly to the Isle of Scilly first thing in the morning and was absolutely gutted that fog had set in and was disrupting the helicopter flights.  I made the decision to postpone my visit as the pilot and heliport staff couldn’t guarantee my flight back to Penzance in the afternoon. I will return to the Isle of Scilly before the end of the BRIT 2012 Challenge.

                                              

I set off for Plymouth and once I dropped my bags off at the hotel, set off to complete a very quiet solo 6 miles around Plymouth to ensure I left myself with 1610 miles by the end of Day 52.

Walking with young people from ACE Plymouth


On Friday morning (Day 53) I set off for the Citadel in Plymouth to walk with The Royal Marines, the Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund, the Royal Marines Association, The Baton Charity and young people from ACE (Alternative Complimentary Education) http://www.ace.plymouth.sch.uk/ .

It was a tremendously uplifting welcome and I talked to some remarkable young people from ACE Plymouth. The young people I spoke to were very open and honest about the traumatic experiences and difficulties they have endured and I learnt a great deal from my time with them. ACE’s Mission Statement is simple and clearly effective: 

Walking with young people from ACE Plymouth
 at the Citadel, Plymouth
ACE will work to ensure that the education students receive is tailored to meet their individual needs and designed to give them the skills to improve their chances in life. It aims to support the reintegration of students into full time education in school, further education or employment. The development of students’ personal integrity and self-esteem is central to all work. 
With the Royal Marines and young people from ACE Plymouth at The Citadel
To support my walk in Plymouth, I was also joined by members of:
29 Commando Royal Artillery




 
42 Commando Royal Marines and Hasler Company (the Royal Marines Rehabilitation Company)

  


With The Baton and The Royal Marines at the Citadel, Plymouth





 
Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund.  To find out more about the charity or to donate, please click here; http://www.rmctf.org.uk/


The Royal Marines Association


With The Baton
and The Baton Charity. I was introduced to The Baton Charity by my dear friends Adam and Soozie. The Baton Charity was founded by Alan Rowe; a remarkably humble man who runs the charity from a shop in Honiton, Devon. This really is an extraordinary charity and I urge you to look at what Alan and his voluntary supporters have and are achieving. To find out more about the Baton or to donate, please click here; http://www.thebaton.co.uk/




It was a pleasure to receive such strong support and to spend time with the representatives of the units and charities. I was also honoured to be joined by BRIT Mentor and friend, Mark Ormrod. Mark sustained devastating injuries on active service and is a triple amputee. Mark and I met at Headley Court in 2008 and he now works for the Royal Marine Charitable Trust Fund and devotes his time to raising funds for the charity. He is an inspirational figure and I was delighted Mark joined me for the walk.

By the end of Day 53 I had 1604 miles to go. When I arrived in West Sussex I was greeted with an email from Mark Wood, another BRIT Mentor. Mark is an adventurer and explorer. Mark is currently on the first solo unsupported and unaided attempt on the Geographic North and South Poles. Mark recently reached the South Pole and sent through a photo of him at the South Pole championing BRIT. What a remarkable achievement and I am honoured that Mark carried the BRIT Flag with him to support all that we are striving to achieve.
Mark Wood at the South Pole

Best wishes,

Phil