Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 50 South Devon College and Paignton, Devon


I arrived at South Devon College http://www.southdevon.ac.uk/ this morning and was met by Ken Fraser, Programme Coordinator for Uniformed Public Service Courses, who had kindly coordinated the day.  I entered the college and was met by Pat Denham, the Vice Principal. I was then taken upstairs to meet and to talk to a mixture of Sport, Uniformed Public Service, Child Care, Health and Social Care and Learning Opportunities students. I briefed everyone on my BRIT 2012 Challenge and we then shared a Question & Answer session before I spent a little time with Pat Denham, Ken Fraser and Matt Burrows, Section Head for Sport and Adventure, before driving down to the coast where the walk started.
Ready to start Day 50 on the beach at Paignton, Devon
 with students from South Devon College

Once again, Fire Fighters joined me on the challenge. Today Keith Tuckerman, Mick Wright, Nadine Watson, Mark Dunnett and Graham Collins from Green Watch, Paignton Fire Station from the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were at the start line to greet me and present me with the County Fire and Rescue Badge for the BRIT Fire Fighters Jacket.


With the BRIT Fire Fighters Jacket on at the
 start of today's BRIT 2012 Challenge miles


For the first leg of the walk I met with students who were studying on the Uniformed Public Services course, together with Lynn Squire, Sports Lecturer, and her Level 3 Sports Studies students. I also had the pleasure to meet Nayiam Abusag and Lily Gardner who are Sports Apprentices at the college.

To break up the stunning coastal walk and to give me the opportunity to meet more young people from the community, we stopped off at the Parkfield Centre http://www.parkfieldtorbay.co.uk/

Meeting staff and special needs students at the Parkfield Centre

I was greeted with a super welcome at the Parkfield Centre where I met Jo Penhaligon, who runs the centre. Anne Umevere, a Lecturer, and Clarissa Disney, a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme Intern were also there to introduce me to their Learning Opportunities students who joined us for a mile. I was shown around the super facilities by Jo Penhaligon and then introduced to some of her students who also joined me for the second part of the walk.

When the Learning Opportunities students left us, Emma Corin and Laura Potter, Lecturers in Child Care, joined us with their L2 Child Care students, who were supported by Jo Calvert and Karen Small.

With students from South Devon College
at The Parkfield Centre in Paignton, Devon
In his capacity as Support Driver, Chris Reeder kindly took everyone back to the college.

Talking with students about their aspirations for
 the future following completion of their courses
As I approached the finish line for today’s walk, I was met by Vice-Chairman Councillor Roger Stringer and his consort, Mrs Shelagh Stringer and Fire Fighters from Green Watch Torquay; Jim Hopkins, Brett Easterbrook, Dave Cook and Gary Judge.






It was an absolute delight for me to meet and to walk with so many students today and my time with South Devon College was an unforgettable experience.
Walking with students from South Devon College

I624 miles to go and following a long drive down to Truro this evening, I’m looking forward to a busy day tomorrow with Truro College in Cornwall and Penwith College in Penzance.

My very best wishes,

Phil