Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 45 – RNLI HQ, Poole, Dorset & Bournemouth University, Dorset Days 46, 47, 48 - West Sussex & Day 49 - University of Exeter & The Fire Fighters Charity - Harcombe House

I’ve had a busy few days since last Thursday. The Challenge is physically tough; however, it can also be mentally tiring with the driving in between locations, keeping on schedule with the miles and the visits, all in addition to continuing to work on BRIT.

On Day 45 (Thursday) I started the day by visiting the RNLI HQ in Poole, Dorset to say thank you to the RNLI for supporting me on my 2012 mile walk. It was good to meet the RNLI HQ face to face as I am due to walk in many costal locations throughout the year and I am delighted to support the volunteers at their stations throughout Great Britain. The meeting was very positive and I look forward to working closely with the RNLI in the future.



With RNLI Volunteers at the RNLI HQ in Poole, Dorset
With Students from Bournemouth University
 and Fire Fighters from Bournemouth

From there I travelled to Bournemouth University http://home.bournemouth.ac.uk/ with 1669 miles to go and was met with a very warm welcome by Ian Jones, the Community, Culture & Sports Manager. Ian had coordinated my 8 mile walk around the campus and for students and key Student Union members to join me throughout the day. In particular, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Toby Horner, the Student Union President, Jessie Banovic, the Student Union Vice President for Communications, Philli Hodgson, the Student Union Vice President for the Lansdowne Campus and Kirsti Pawlowski, the University PR Assistant. 

We had some great conversations and I look forward to taking up the invitation to return to Bournemouth University later this year as we discussed many ways in which the University could support BRIT and how I can engage with the students. I ended the day on1661 miles and then drove back to West Sussex to prepare for meetings on Friday and to work on the BRIT Land Strategy.

On Day 46 (Friday) I completed a further 8 miles leaving 1653 miles to go and had encouraging conversations with the Charities Commission, MEC regarding Social Media support as well as land discussions and updates with BRIT Trustees. Over the weekend I completed a further 8 miles on Day 47 (Saturday) and Day 48 (Sunday) as well as catching up with my family and friends by phone and continuing to work on BRIT by catching up with a stack of emails and letters.

I was absolutely shattered on Sunday night, so with 1637 miles to go, decided to leave West Sussex first thing this morning and drove down to the University of Exeter http://www.exeter.ac.uk/. Today (Day 49) was a split location – 4 miles with the University and 4 miles at The Fire Fighter Charity’s Harcombe House Rehabilitation Centre.

With Students and Staff at the University of Exeter
I was met at the University’s Sport Centre by Phil Attwell, the Director of Sport. Phil leads the Sports Office team who run facilities and services at the Streatham and St Luke's campuses, as well as playing an advisory role in service provision at the University's Cornwall campus. Phil is also Chairman of the British Universities Sports Association (BUSA). The Sports Office was formed in 1999 with the aim of providing excellence in sport for the students and to build a high quality facility base. In excess of £12 million has been invested to create the superb facilities and excellent support services. A further £8million has been raised to facilitate their plans for further improvements. The University of Exeter is now one of the leading sporting institutions in the UK. Exeter boasts some of the best facilities in the South West and was placed 8th out of 145 institutions in the 2010/11 British Universities and College Sport (BUCS) ranking. It was great to meet some of the students and staff who joined me on the walk.

Once again, after talking with Phil and the students, I look forward to accepting their invitation to return and also to discuss how the Student’s Union and the University can assist to support BRIT and me throughout the year.

My day finished with a further 4 miles at Harcombe House and support from Fire Fighters from Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service and the Fire Fighters Charity http://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/

Harcombe House sits in 300 acres of gardens, lakes and woodland just 12 miles south of Exeter. Run by the Fire Fighters Charity, Harcombe House provides an ideal environment for members of the fire and rescue community to gain the most from any rehabilitation treatment or recover from illness, stress or bereavement. The location is stunning, offering beneficiaries and their dependents the space to relax and recuperate. 


At Harcombe House in Devon
 One of three Rehabilitation Centres run by The Fire Fighters Charity
The welcome when I arrived was fantastic. In addition to being joined by the Fire Crew from Middlemoor Station and Harcombe House staff & rehabilitation clients, I was honoured that Lee Howell, the Chief Fire Officer for Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service, also joined us for the afternoon.

Talking with Lee and also with Clare Hannaford, the Operations Manager and Harcombe House was a pleasure. My relationship with the Fire Service is a very special one and I have been joined on almost every day of my 2012 mile journey by Fire Fighters. They continue to provide me with support and encouragement and I am delighted to be able to champion their charity and their dedication as I walk around Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I am sincerely grateful to the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines (CTCRM) for accommodating me tonight so that I can rest after a short drive and prepare for walking at South Devon College in Paignton, Devon tomorrow.

1629 miles to go.




Best wishes,

Phil