Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 18 - Wokingham Fire Station & Slough Fire Station (Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue) and High Wycombe Fire Station & Milton Keynes Fire Station (Buckinghamshire Fire Service)

Yesterday I had a "non-location" day which gave me time to complete 5 miles in the gym and then to concentrate on checking in with my BRIT Trustees and key supporters who are gifting their time to support me. It also gave me rare day at home so I can catch up on BRIT as a charity and respond to emails and letters.


Today I needed to walk in Wokingham, Slough, High Wycombe and Milton Keynes so that I continue to walk in every county and unitary authority of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I felt that the best way to do that was to visit fire stations in all four locations so that I can show my support to the fire service for the support they have given me every day of my challenge so far.

Visiting Milton Keynes Fire Station,
Buckingham Fire Service
It was an absolute pleasure to spend time with the fire fighters and I was able to sit and talk about the challenge, why I am doing it and why I am championing other charities on my journey.
The Fire Fighters Charity is the UK's leading provider of services that enhance quality of life for serving and retired fire service personnel and their families. They are available for all members of the fire service community during their times of need, assisting thousands of individuals every year by providing pioneering treatment and support services.
Support to the Fire Fighters of
Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Their free helpline is a central point of access for all the Charity's services, including their Beneficiary Support Service. 
The Fire Fighters Charity offer a confidential and impartial helpline service, providing advice, guidance and support on a broad range of issues, as well as having a nationwide network of professional staff and trained volunteers, who are ready to help locally. 
With Fire Fighters at High Wycombe
Fire Station, Buckingham Fire Service
They aim to provide practical assistance and solutions to make a real difference to the lives of members of the fire service community.
Their three centres in Devon, Cumbria and West Sussex offer rehabilitation programmes to eligible beneficiaries of the fire service community, as well as recuperation breaks that provide the chance to relax in peaceful and tranquil surroundings, which can aid emotional recovery following illness, injury, or other problems.
It costs £9m every year to meet the needs of the charity's beneficiaries, and with no government funding, it is completely reliant upon donations from the general public and fire community.


I am looking forward to visiting their Centre in Devon when I walk the South West region of England in March, however I am glad that I spent today listening and talking to the fire fighters of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire so I have a greater understanding of their work and their charity.
With Blue Watch at Slough Fire Station,
The Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service
I remain honoured and delighted to receive such tremendous support each day from each county fire service; they have become the constant on my journey and I appreciate the time they give to join me.
Do please take a moment to look at their website; http://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/

1865 miles to go and tomorrow I'll be walking in Oxford with Oxford University, David Bray, Station Manager at Rewley Road Fire Station, Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue Service, and BRIT Mentors, Kate Silverton, Suzanne Dando & Adam Reynolds.

Best wishes,

Phil