Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 22 - The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst - Camberley, Surrey

14th February, Valentine’s Day, and it’s three years to the day since Al Humphreys and I rowed the English Channel when I was on my mission to raise the £1million for the wounded.  I looked at the video on my media page today http://www.philpacker.com/Media/Videos and it’s a very humbling experience to see the limited mobility I had then, compared to the improved mobility I have now.  I feel very lucky to be able to walk again and it is something I seem to think about every day this year.  On such a special day for me, it felt wholly appropriate to complete my 8 miles today at the location that was integral to shaping my former life within the Armed Forces and most certainly instilled principles and competencies that still hold true to this day.


Today I returned to The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst for the first time since 1997 when I spent the whole year there training to become an Officer. The Academy is the British Army equivalent of the Britannia Royal Naval College Dartmouth, Royal Air Force College Cranwell and the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines.



The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst was formed in 1947 on the site of the former Royal Military College at Sandhurst from a merger between the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich (which trained officers for the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers from 1741 to 1939) and the Royal Military College (1802 to 1939). 
Sandhurst http://www.army.mod.uk/training_education/training/17057.aspx  develops leadership in cadets by expanding their character, intellect and professional competences to a level demanded of an Army Officer on first appointment through military training and education. The course is accredited by various academic and professional institutions; however, Sandhurst is not classed as a University.


The Commissioning Course lasts 44 weeks and must be successfully completed by all British regular army officers (with some exceptions) before they receive their commission. This is usually followed by a further training course specific to the Regiment or Corps the officer will serve in. A shorter commissioning course is run for professionally qualified officers (e.g. doctors, dentists, nurses, lawyers, vets and chaplains).
When I was at school, due to the difficulties at home with my birth father, I found it hard to concentrate and looking back at that time, my behaviour was inadequate as well as inappropriate and I found education extremely difficult. I left school at 16 and for five years was lost in what I was going to do and who I was. It was a turbulent time in my life and my mother, Angela, gave me remarkable support and love to get me through.  I was also very lucky to have the love and support of Mike, who has become a father to me and is my “Dad”.  Their guidance, patience and understanding made me the man I am today.

Starting off from the Royal Military
Academy Sandhurst
In 1993 I decided that I had to get my life back and I wanted to make Mum and Dad proud of me, so I joined the British Army and with minimnal qualifications, enlisted as a Private Soldier. In 1996 I was put forward as a candidate with potential for becoming an Officer and this led me to passing the selection process and commencing training at Sandhurst.  I was 25 then, and in December of 1997 I commissioned into the Royal Military Police as a 2nd Lieutenant.

The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst was a turning point in my life and I was delighted to be joined today by Officers, Officer Cadets, military families and the Surrey Fire Service as I set off on my 8 mile walk.  On completing a 6 mile circuit I then walked from the gates of the Academy and walked into Sandhurst where I was joined by local councillors, Thames Valley Police, the Surrey Fire Service, young people and local well-wishers who joined me for the final 2 miles to the Memorial Park.
With Fire Fighters from Surrey Fire & Rescue
I’m grateful to the Commandant of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Major General Patrick Marriott CB CBE, for his kind permission to allow me to walk at the Academy, to Lieutenant Colonel Roger Morton and Warrant Officer (Class 2) Jules Hodgson for organising Day 22 , and to everyone who joined in on what was an emotionally charged and unforgettable day for me.

The BFBS Video Link that covered today’s walk is here: http://www.bfbs.com/news/uk/injured-serviceman-continues-challenge-54861.html 

1841 miles to go!

Best wishes,

Phil