Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 21 - Christ Church University, Canterbury, Kent

Before I start, I wanted to share with you a super photograph of the Young People who joined me at Oxford on Saturday from the Keen Oxford Charity. I received this photo by email today and it captures the very happy time we all enjoyed at Oxford University. 

Keen Oxford
Although I was drained from yesterday, I was raring to go and felt that I needed to play catch up and to burn off frustration and anger from being unable to walk yesterday.

I drove to Canterbury Christ Church University and was met by Anna Johns, Head of the Vice-Chancellor's Office, who welcomed me and had organised my visit.  The Head of Security, Terry Wakefield, had measured the route around the University Campus and it was a pleasure to be joined by Terry and his team throughout the day.

With Fire Fighters from Canterbury
Fire Station, Kent Fire & Rescue Service
The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Robin Baker CMG, welcomed me officially and then introduced me to staff and students before we went to have photographs taken with Fire Fighters from Canterbury Fire Station, Kent Fire & Rescue Service. It was great to be joined by yet another County Fire Service and to be presented with their badge for the BRIT Fire Fighters Jacket.

I was delighted to be supported throughout the day by Rachel Bowen (employed at the University Accommodation Office) who on her day off, wheel-chair pushed the whole 8 miles with me, and also Natalie O'Connell, a 3rd year Sports Science student, who was celebrating her 21st birthday today!

With Fire Fighters from Kent Fire &
Rescue Service and the Vice-Chancellor
and staff of Christ Church University,
Canterbury

I stopped for a light lunch and had the pleasure of meeting Peter Hermitage QPM (Pro-Chancellor and Chair of the Governing Body), Professor Robin Baker CMG (Vice-Chancellor), Professor Sue Piotrowski (Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic)), Professor Roderick Watkins (Dean of Arts and Humanities) and Lorri Currie (Academic Registrar).  

I was enthused that everyone was excited about BRIT and will look into ways the University can be involved and also how other Universities around Great Britain and Northern Ireland can also be involved in the challenge.

I had a super time today and thoroughly enjoyed my day at Canterbury Christ Church University.

1849 miles to go!

Best wishes,
Phil