Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 331 - Final Day of the BRIT 2012 mile walk‏


My BRIT 2012 mile blog; sharing encounters and memories from every county of Great Britain and Northern Ireland throughout 2012
 
2012 BRIT miles with a spinal cord injury; the equivalent of 310 marathon distances in 331 days to support young people post-trauma
 
Thanks to everyone for supporting me on my toughest challenge  



Day 331-Final Day of the BRIT 2012 Challenge


The final day of the BRIT 2012 Challenge! I was up early and said farewell to the staff of 51 Buckingham Gate who have been extraordinarily generous to BRIT and me to gift accommodation throughout December. Prabhat Verma, the General Manager, and Araceli Rius-Perez, the Manager of 51 Buckingham Gate, kindly agreed to gift 18 nights of accommodation to me and set up a base for the walk. It has been a pleasure to continue a very special relationship with the hotel and I am sincerely grateful for all their support in 2011 and 2012.


From 51 Buckingham Gate, I travelled to the Sky Studios for an interview with BRIT Mentor and friend, Eammon Holmes, at Sky News. This was a great and positive start to the day.

Supported by Land Rover throughout the 331 days of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

Then it was back in the BRIT Land Rover and over to Canary Wharf. Jaguar Land Rover have been superb supporters of BRIT for over two years and the gifted BRIT Land Rover has provided vital support; particularly this year whilst travelling throughout Great Britain.

British Inspiration Trust Mentors, Adrian Wheeldon and Brian Turner CBE, with Phil Packer MBE on the final day of his BRIT 2012 Challenge - 310 equivalent marathon distances in 331 days through every county of the UK

I was warmly greeted by BRIT Mentor, Brian Turner CBE, and BRIT Young People’s Visionary Steering Group member, Adrian Wheeldon. It felt really good to be here, although a little bitter sweet as well. I’ve met so many incredible young people this year and they were my daily inspiration to keep me moving forward, especially on the days I was tired. On the other hand, my infections have been increasing in frequency and I recognise that my body has been trying to tell me that I need to slow down, so a rest is very much long overdue.

Phil Packer MBE was joined by Inspirational Figures including Ben Fogle to greet him as he completed the equivalent of 310 marathons in 331 days across the UK to raise awareness of the British Inspiration Trust

Fortunately the weather held off and although blustery at Canary Wharf it wasn’t raining. Considering I’ve been drenched numerous times this year and the challenge began in the rain back in January, I was happy to have no rain.

Supported by the Children's Trust on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

I started the walk around 1000 hours with only a couple of miles to complete before 1630 hours and was joined throughout the day by numerous supporters, charities, BRIT Mentors and young people. Speed Communications were absolutely fantastic and had organised around 16 different interviews throughout the day.
 
Supported by Speed Communications on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
 
Chichester College, which has been absolutely brilliant this year, brought a coach of students up to Canary Wharf for the last day. I was also pleased to be joined by Shelagh Legrave, Principal, Andrew Green, Deputy Principal, and Lisa Humphries, who has supported all our visits and meetings to the college, and BRIT volunteer and former college staff member, Trudy Baxter. It seemed only fitting that Chichester College was with me today since the challenge began at Chichester College in January and I’ve visited/walked on their campus several times throughout the year.

Supported by the Chichester College on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

The last two hours of the walk was fantastic as the energy and enthusiasm from supporters was a tremendous boost. I was deeply honoured that The Children’s Trust, Helen Rollason Cancer Charity and the Douglas Bader Foundation (all of which I am a Vice-President, Vice-Patron and Ambassador for) came out to join me, along with many other charities including HRH Prince Charles’ charities Children and the Arts and Mosaic as well as Arthritis Research UK, Leonard Cheshire Disability, Jigsaw, the Youth Sport Trust and JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation).
 
Supported by the Youth Sport Trust on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
Local school children also joined us which was an absolute honour. Members of the BRIT Young People’s Visionary Steering Group came out including Joel Jeffers, Cat Bull and Polly Hounsome. Sadly with the challenge this year I haven’t been able to see them all, so this was just a great bonus to see Adrian, Cat, Polly and Joel. Their support really made a difference.

Supported by London Fire Brigade on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

In addition the London Fire Services came, which seemed appropriate and fitting as the Fire and Rescue Services have been with me on almost every day of the challenge. I think it’s only been days when they’ve been called to an emergency that they have not shown up. I truly respect the members of the Fire Services for the difficult job they do every day protecting the rest of us.

Supported by the Douglas Bader Foundation on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

Major General Julian Free CBE, my last commander when I was serving in the Armed Forces, came to support the last day of the walk as well. Given my connections to the military I was honoured that he came out to join me and the other supporters. The military have been supportive throughout the entire year, especially Lieutenant Colonel John Maddison MBE RN, who was at Chichester College for the early planning meetings in January and coordinated many of the walking days and military visits for me. John is an incredible friend and I appreciate that the time he spent on BRIT was time away from his family.

Supported by Oli Dudley, Sally Kettle, Michael McGrath & Matt Parsons on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

I was thrilled to be joined by BRIT Mentors throughout the day, including Ben Fogle, Michael McGrath, Oli Dudley, Sally Kettle, Ben Parkinson MBE and Brian Turner CBE.
 
Supported by Clare & George Vaux on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
The BRIT Trustees, Martin Lewis, Mike Peckham and Darren Whittingham, all showed up to walk with me and BRIT Coordinator, Clare Dunbar-Pollard, who voluntarily arranged and managed my walking schedule for me was there, along with BRIT Volunteers, Jeanne Brooke–Barnett, Thalia Temmerman and Alison Hounsome, and BRIT photographer, Helen Stuttard.

Last, but no means least, my Mum, Angela, and my Uncle, Mike, came to show their support, along with many friends throughout the day.

Phil Packer MBE with Ben Fogle and Michael McGrath who are Mentors to the British Inspiration Trust & joined Phil on the final day of his epic BRIT 2012 challenge 310 marathons in 331 days for young people

It was a fantastic feeling to finish the challenge. The 2012 miles was often difficult, especially when I was ill. The best part of the year though has been meeting young people all over the UK and listening to their stories of adversity. The young people I have met this year have taught me a great deal. I am still learning, but after this year, I am more determined than ever to build the BRIT Centre in West Sussex for charities to send their young people to a residential course to help them begin rebuilding their self-confidence and self-belief. While this phase of BRIT is now over, the next phase will be fundraising in the New Year to get the money to start building the Centre.

Supported by the Thalia Temmerman, Darren Whittingham & James Kydd on the final day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

At the end of the challenge, after everyone had left Canary Wharf, I was standing with the BRIT Team reflecting on the walk and the year. There’s a great deal more work to be done, but it was a nice moment to celebrate quietly with those that have been with me all year on the challenge. Unfortunately I didn’t have too much time to reflect as it was back in the Land Rover and then up to Salford for an interview with BBC Breakfast first thing the next morning. After a long drive I got to my hotel and promptly shaved off my beard as it’s the end of the walk and time to hang up the walking shoes and put on the suit and focus on my role as Non-Paid Chief Executive of BRIT.

My thanks to everyone who has supported me throughout 2012 and I am looking forward to personally thanking so many people who have made the BRIT 2012 mile walk possible in the New Year.

Best wishes,

Phil