Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 315 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk - Croydon, Sutton & Merton‏



My BRIT 2012 mile blog; sharing encounters and memories from every county of Great Britain and Northern Ireland throughout 2012

2012 BRIT miles with a spinal cord injury; the equivalent of 310 marathon distances in 331 days to support young people post-trauma 

Thanks to everyone for supporting me on my toughest challenge


This month’s BRIT 2012 mile walk is December in London

 
Day 315 started with a visit to my grandmother, Darling, in Croydon. It was absolutely great to spend some quality time with the gentlest, kindest and most beautiful person I have ever met. Since my sister was a little girl and heard my grandfather, George, call my grandmother “Darling”, and thought that was her name, we have all called my grandmother “Darling” ever since. Just thought I’d explain!

Our Darling

If ever there was someone to talk to who listens, understands and makes you feel calm about any situation and so much better afterwards, it is Darling. Both Darling and my late Grandfather, George, were quite an extraordinarily generous couple. I think I can say, with agreement from both family and friends that they were selfless with everyone they met. They wouldn’t hesitate to put the needs of others first and would rather go without to make sure someone was comfortable, happy and content. 

Darling and George

I think my sister, Lesley, would agree with me, that both Darling and George were wonderful grandparents throughout all our lives and made us feel safe, secure and loved. I know that it may sound strange to say, but my grandparents were never heard to have a cross word for each other and I wholeheartedly believe that it was not in their nature to ever do anything to upset or hurt one another or anyone. If ever there was a perfect marriage with an abundance of love and compassion, it was Darling and George.

Wonderful Grandfather George

The minute I walked into my grandmother’s cottage, I felt calm. She looked absolutely radiant and there is most definitely an aura about Darling, which even sat here writing now, I cannot quite put my finger on. It is the same feeling I have when my Mum, Angela, is in the room. They have both been the happy and safe part of my life and together with Lesley, and my Dad, Mike, have been the strongest influences throughout my life. I have a lot of faults and have not handled situations well in the past, however, I am understanding now that this is mainly down to the behaviour and abusive treatment from my birth father. Earlier in the year I attended a number of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions as I really don’t want to react in a certain way to lots of situations, sabotage relationships when I feel someone is too close, or feel negative, rejected or upset with the simplest of responses of a “no”. I can take things to heart far too much and am learning to listen more, not react and to think about what someone is saying and give a considered response rather than a kneejerk reaction.


My beautiful Grandmother Darling

This year, young people I have met have taught me more about myself than I have ever understood before. When I have listened to their stories I have been struck by the similarities and feel I understand situations a lot more. This can leave me feeling a little raw and vulnerable, so it is vital for me to feel safe; seeing and talking with Darling gives me a huge amount of inner strength.

We miss my grandfather, George, so very much, however feel so fortunate to have been blessed to have George in our lives. Darling continues to give our family so much happiness and joy. We love her very much.

A super start to my day and a real treat for me.







I then travelled on to Sutton where I was welcomed by The Mayor, Cllr Sean Brennon, The Borough Commander of London Fire Brigade Sutton, Aaran Watson, Fire Fighters from the London Fire Brigade Sutton and young people from the Ambition Dance and Drama Group http://www.ambitiondanceanddrama.co.uk/
 



This remarkable group of over 50 young people is more than just a Dance and Drama School. They have been raising awareness of Anti-Bullying, Mental Health, Young Carers & BME since 2009.
 
Young People from the Ambition Dance and Drama Group who raise awareness of Bullying Mental Health and many other youth issues
 
 
They have written and Produced 3 Award winning films, won best Community Group "Mayor Award 2011" and won Dance Challenge Semi Finals.

Some of the younger members of the Ambition Dance and Drama Group having some fun in the Fire Tender

They pride themselves on their young people and letting them have a voice, letting them shine and helping others and to raise much needed awareness. They state they are a family, made up of many different individuals, but all with the same heart and I would have to agree that there is something very special about Ambition. Their motto is “The Ambition to make a difference” and they are. It is uplifting to see.

With The Mayor of Sutton, Fire Fighters from London Fire Brigade Sutton and the Ambition Dance and Drama Group

My thanks to everyone in Sutton who came out to support me today.

Cllr Nick Draper, Leader Stephen Alambritis, Mayor David Williams ,Commander Darren Munro Cllr Maxi Martin & Stephen Hammond MP

From Sutton I travelled to Merton where I was warmly welcomed by Darren Munro who is the Borough Commander at the London Fire Brigade Merton. Darren was superb today and hosted Councillor Nick Draper, Leader of the Council, Stephen Alambritis, The Mayor, David Williams, Councillor Maxi Martin & Stephen Hammond MP. I was honoured that Graham Ellis, the Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the London Fire Brigade joined us this afternoon and I am sincerely grateful for his offer to support the BRIT 2012 mile walk.

With Stephen Hammond MP, the Leader of the Council, The Mayor, Councillors and the Merton Borough Commander & Firefighters

I sincerely appreciated their support and they gave their time this afternoon to learn more about BRIT. I was delighted that they were all intent on contacting the MPs within Greater London, all the Borough Mayors and all the Borough Councils to be involved with the BRIT 2012 mile walk. It was a very positive meeting.

With Fire Fighters at the end of my Merton Borough walk with the Leader of Merton Council Stephen Alambritis and Fire Fighters

We all then went up to the crew room at the Fire Station and I met the on-shift Fire Fighters who then joined us as we walked from the Fire Station to the Civic Centre. It was great to have time to talk to the Fire Fighters and Councillors and we were followed by all their Fire Engines and Appliances through Wimbledon and Merton.

With Fire Fighters who welcomed me and walked with me today in Wimbledon, Merton

It was a great afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Getting through a day with an infection is quite tough when you just want to sit down and crash out, but the Fire Fighters kept me going today and took my mind off of everything else. 
 
51 Buckingham Gate

I arrived back at 51 Buckingham Gate in the early evening and received another very warm welcome “home” from all the staff on duty. It’s going to be a late night; as much as I want to sleep, I have to work on the emails to all the Schools, Colleges and Universities I have walked at to ask them to support our December BRIT Social Media Campaign.

Wishing you a very relaxing Sunday evening.

Best wishes,

Phil