Saturday, December 1, 2012

Day 312 to 314 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk‏


My BRIT 2012 mile blog; sharing encounters and memories from every county of Great Britain and Northern Ireland throughout 2012

2012 BRIT miles with a spinal cord injury; the equivalent of 310 marathon distances in 331 days to support young people post-trauma 

Thanks to everyone for supporting me on my toughest challenge


This month’s BRIT 2012 mile walk is December in London

 
 
Day 312 and I headed over to meet Canary Wharf Group PLC who has kindly given permission for me to hold my final day of walking on the 18th December at Canary Wharf. It was a pleasure to meet Howard Dawber and Lauren Mullings who made me feel very welcome and could not have been more supportive. I walked the route with Lauren and then Howard made time to meet me and talk through ideas and thoughts on how we can raise awareness of BRIT during December and on the Final Day. I look forward to working with everyone at Canary Wharf Group and am sincerely grateful for all their support.


From Canary Wharf I drove on to Tadworth House in Surrey, the home of The Children’s Trust http://www.thechildrenstrust.org.uk/. I am a Vice-President of the charity and have visited many times. It was my absolute pleasure to walk part of my BRIT 2012 mile walk with the children, their families and staff from every department of The Children’s Trust who were absolutely terrific.

The Children's Trust provides care, education, therapy and rehabilitation to children with multiple disabilities, complex health needs and acquired brain injury.

Their services include the UK's largest paediatric brain injury rehabilitation centre, support in the community for children and young people with acquired brain injury (ABI), The School for Profound Education for pupils with profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), short breaks, transitional, palliative and long-term nursing care.

With some of the children and staff at The Children's Trust

They are a remarkable charity and I am always made to feel so welcome. On every visit there, I have the privilege of meeting more and more staff as well as spending time with the children and talking to parents. Often people ask how I can gift my time to other charities when I'm running BRIT, and my response is "how can I not?" I try to use what happened to me for good and if I can give back to another charity, especially one that supports young people then I will. I feel there is always time and always a way. What makes my relationships with the charities I support special is that they understand me, my commitments and are flexible and understanding to accommodate me. They are two way relationships and it is a pleasure to support them as much as I can.

My thanks to everyone at The Children’s Trust for a super day and I look forward to children and staff joining me in Canary Wharf on the 18th December. I then drove on to West Sussex. I ended the Day with 84 miles to go.

Day 313 and the day before the beginning of the last month! I spent the day walking in between packing the gifted BRIT Land Rover and working through BRIT Correspondence. I also had the opportunity to sort out the cottage and some personal tasks that I haven’t been able to spend time on for a while. I confess I don't travel light and need quite a lot of supplies. I finally got packed, finished some emails and phone calls, and then spent time with Jeannie and Trudy who are supporting BRIT and I with areas of finance and administration. I am so lucky to have good friends who are willing to gift time to support the charity and I. My thanks to Jeannie and Trudy for all their super support. I ended the day with 78 miles to go.

Day 314 was my first of 33 London Boroughs; Waltham Forest.


After making sure the car was fully packed I got in and drove to my first location to walk with the UK Scouting Association http://scouts.org.uk/ The Scouts, along with the Girl Guides, Armed Forces Youth Groups and the Fire and Rescue Services have been some of the most faithful challenge walkers.

A wonderful welcome from the Mayor and International and UK Scouts at the home of Scouting in Gilwell Park

They have shown up all over Great Britain and Northern Ireland to walk with me, sometimes in absolutely dreadful weather. They have always been cheerful, enthusiastic and interested in the work of BRIT. I am proud to be associated with an organisation that puts young people at the centre of all they do.

An honour to be presented with the 23rd Wimledon Scout Group Scarf in its beautiful Hindu colours

This was my first visit to the Scouts since being made an Ambassador and it was fitting that my first day of my final month was with UK Scouting Association. I was welcomed by the Mayor of Waltham Forest as well as International Scouts and Scouts from the UK. It was great to meet Scouts from Bolivia, Mexico, Uganda, Korea and Japan. 

Being presented with the Korean Scouting Scarf by Korean Scouts at Gilwell Park

I was also joined by Scouts from Petts Wood, West Wickham and Wimbledon who had all travelled in to meet me. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Scouts today and I was honoured that representatives from all the nations present, as well as the UK Scouts, presented me with their national or UK group scarves. 

With Scouts from Mexico who preented me with their Mexico Scouting Scarf at Gilwell Park

I will treasure them and remember fondly, the time we spent together today.

Honoured to be presented with the Ugandan Scouting Scarf at Gilwell Park

After a great day of walking I headed in to Central London to my accommodation during my London stay. The 51 Buckingham Gate http://www.51-buckinghamgate.com is a 5 star Taj Hotel and part of the TATA Corporation and they are generously gifting me a suite during my walk as a base for me and a BRIT 2012 Challenge HQ for BRIT Mentors, BRIT Advisors and BRIT Volunteers to come to during December for our BRIT Meetings. I have to put this gift into perspective as 51 Buckingham Gate are gifting a suite for 18 nights which is extraordinarily generous and sincerely appreciated. It is super to be in the heart of London with parking for the gifted BRIT vehicle and have the space to hold meetings.


I have a long association with the 51 as they have gifted accommodation to me over the past two years when I have been up in London on BRIT business. The TATA Corporation has a long history of philanthropy and they support numerous charities. I am very excited to stay at the 51 as it is a beautiful hotel, the staff is wonderful and I am always so well looked after. My sincere thanks to General Manager, Prabhat Verma, for his continued support, to Mandee Morris for making all the arrangements and to Araceli Ruis Perez, Manager at the 51, for taking care of me. Their motto of "home away from home" is definitely true and when I return each night it will be to a genuine warm welcome from the staff. It is great to be back and I am delighted to have the support of 51 Buckingham Gate, Taj Hotels and the TATA Corporation.
The Courtyard at 51 Buckingham Gate


The past 14 days have been busy with meetings, planning strategies, walking miles and visiting other charities. While it has all been a bit of a whirlwind, I am now focusing solely on the last month of the challenge in London. I'll be walking all 33 London boroughs and looking forward to being joined by BRIT mentors, volunteers and young people. I promise to do a better job of updating my blog by writing daily highlights!

I end today with 72 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil