Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 26 – The Island of Guernsey

Being presented with the State of Guernsey
Fire Fighter's Badge outside the 6th form college
with a lot of scouts!

Day 26 Guernsey

I arrived late in Guernsey after my walk on Alderney. Tonight I was delighted to stay with Christine who is my second cousin. It was lovely to relax and have a chat, catching up on news. I admit that I am often so busy that sometimes it is difficult for me to get together with my family, so this was a special treat.

After a lovely evening and a good night’s sleep I was up and ready for an interview with BBC Radio Guernsey. I am so thankful to the media for taking an interest in the BRIT 2012 Challenge as it informs people of the walk and my goal for raising funds to build the Centre.

Today I was honoured to meet Colonel Richard Graham MBE, who serves as the secretary and aide de camp to Guernsey’s Lieutenant Governor, a position he has held since 1998. Colonel Graham welcomed me in place of the Lieutenant Governor who was unfortunately away from Guernsey on business. It was a very warm welcome.


With children of Guernsey including
members of the Wigwam Support Group
for children with special needs
In addition, I was also delighted to be joined by Wayne Bulpitt, the UK Chief Commissioner of the Scouts Association. Wayne's wife, Julie Bulpitt, runs the Guernsey Scouts. This was a great moment for me as I received the Athlete of the Year Badge in 2009 from the Scouts, an award which I treasure. Having the opportunity to talk with Wayne and Julie about our common passion of helping young people reach their potential was an absolute thrill for me.

The young people of Guernsey
hailing a taxi at the end of our walk
The only thing that topped that was the outpouring of support from the residents of Guernsey that came out to walk with me along with local scouts, cadets and the Fire Services. I had such a fantastic day and felt so welcomed. It was a tough day of walking though and I struggled a bit towards the end of the walk, as there have been very few days to rest so far.
On the way back to the airport with the
Fire Fighters of the State of Guernsey

 The walk finished at the local RNLI station late in the afternoon. Guernsey, like Alderney is incredibly beautiful. The scenery is breath-taking. At the end of the challenge the scouts, cadets and community members were hailing cabs to go home. Luckily for me the Guernsey Fire Services gave me a lift back. After 10 miles I was more than grateful for the lift!

Back to the airport and off to Jersey with 1806 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil