Tuesday, February 21, 2012

BRIT Blog-Days 23, 24 & 25 - Preparation Days and walking on the Island of Alderney

A stunning view from my 10 mile walk on
the Sovereign State of Alderney
Wednesday was Day 23 of my challenge and a non-location day, which meant I walked in West Sussex. As I stated in an earlier blog I have some days scheduled to walk from home to allow me to maintain all of the other work for supporting and running BRIT. One of the advantages for me on a non-location day is I can walk a few miles then work for a while and then go back and walk some more miles until I’ve completed my miles for the day. I wanted to complete 10 miles of the challenge, so after an early night, I got up early and started walking straight away. After a few miles I felt energized and got cracking on work for BRIT. This was my pattern for much of the day as I walked and worked until I had completed my 10 miles. After that I needed to run some errands to make sure I had everything for my upcoming trip to Alderney, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

With the Duke of Edinburgh's Award
Scheme students from St Anne's School
Day 24 was especially busy. I needed to get 5 miles in, so I had another non-location day and got my miles in first thing. Then it was on to work for BRIT. Aside from the work coordinating the challenge, I have the day to day running of BRIT.  Afterwards I finished my packing. As someone with a spinal cord injury I need to pack carefully as I have to make sure I have everything I need with me. This includes medications that help to mitigate the neuropathic and muscular pain. The medications help to take the edge off and allow me to function. I also needed to make sure I had a supply of catheters with me as I self-catheterize about six times a day. I order these and can’t pop into a chemist if I run short. So planning is essential when I travel. 

Finally, everything was ready, including the BRIT 2012 Challenge banners and then it was off to Southampton Airport to fly over to Alderney. The staff at the airport was fantastic and helped get me settled. I arrived in Alderney and was greeted by Mike Gaunt the Headmaster at St. Anne's School who kindly took me to my hotel for the night. Pauline Collins of the Belle Vue Hotel hosted me for the night and I am sincerely grateful. As the BRIT 2012 Challenge does not have large corporate sponsorship, when someone gifts a room during my walk it is appreciated. The Hotel is beautifully situated and I woke up ready to go.

With the volunteers of the State
of Alderney Fire Service
My first stop on Day 25 was an early morning interview with Channel 103News to talk about the challenge and my goal to build a Centre for charities that support young people going through their darkest times. This was my first visit to Alderney and I definitely hope to come back in the future. Alderney has a fascinating history and I learned a great deal throughout the day. In addition to the Napoleonic and Victorian fortifications, during World War II, most of the inhabitants, except for three, were evacuated prior to the island being occupied by the German Armed Forces between 1939 and 1945. The Germans built fortifications with slave labour from prisoners of war from many countries and there were four concentration camps on the island. After the war it took quite a while for the island to rebuild.

With the President of the State of Alderney,
Fire Fighters from the Alderney Fire Brigade
and young people from  St Anne's School
Mike Gaunt, Head Teacher at St. Anne's School served as my contact person for the day. Mike’s students planned the course I was walking and I must admit that given the hilly topography of Alderney this was one of my most challenging walks so far. The students that came out with us were members of the Duke of Edinburgh silver awards. I enjoyed my chats with them and they were great at keeping me focused.

Once again the Fire Services were fantastic and showed up in support of the Challenge. They joined the students on the walk. It was incredible walking on the island as it is such a beautiful place. I had to keep from stopping every few minutes as I wanted to take so many pictures. Everyone I met on Alderney made me feel so welcome and I truly enjoyed my time on the island.

Unfortunately I couldn’t stay and had to get on to my next destination so it was back to the airport, where I boarded a flight for Guernsey.

With 25 miles completed over the last three days, I am now down to 1816 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil