Wednesday, September 12, 2012

August – Month 8 of the BRIT 2012 Challenge – Scotland and returning to West Sussex and London


 
Some great news and then Day 222 - Borders College & leaving Scotland, Day 223 to 230 (West Sussex, London & Medical Appointments)

I am playing catch up on my blogs as it has been a hectic week or so, but before I write on the last day of walking in Scotland to last Saturday, I wanted to share some super news.

My beautiful sister, Lesley

Last Monday will be a day to remember. I wrote some time ago that my sister, Lesley, was diagnosed with Lymphoma and 2012 has been a tough year for Lesley and our family. To hear from Lesley on Monday that she has been told, following all her chemotherapy, that she is now in remission, is wonderful news. 

When I first wrote about Lesley it felt a little awkward sharing a fight that was not mine. It is a very personal journey and I am not one to seek or take sympathy well and nor is Lesley. The reason for sharing what was going on within my family was more so because of Lesley being such a vital and important person in my life. Whether I should use the words; role model, inspiration, friend and mentor, I really don’t know, but Lesley is my big sister and has been there every day I have needed her (many times when I didn’t think I needed her support) and inaddition to a brother and sister who love each other unconditionally, it was Lesley’s bravery as a mum, wife, daughter and sister that gave me so much strength and admiration for a remarkable lady.

Lesley and I growing up

Lesley allowed me to share the words I wrote with you as we agreed that her battle, and coping with such dignity, strength and calmness, may help others who may be experiencing similar, and what can often be, devastating journeys. 

I wrote these words months ago;

“I am so very proud of my sister.  She has protected her children, James and Lucy, and our family, by gently introducing them to the stark facts of what the treatment is and how this will affect her visibly and also both physically and mentally. As a united family of both mine and my brother-in-laws, everyone has worked out their role in Lesley’s journey and help wherever they can. It is easy to be upset and think about the effect of what Lesley is going through on oneself, however this is about Lesley and making sure that we understand daily how she is feeling, what can be done to help and what can be done to make each day easier.

My experience of having tough days is that I needed people to be happy, to be positive and to help me think of all the good things, rather than dwell on the negatives. This isn’t hiding away from reality, but doing everything to keep positive and turning bad thoughts into good thoughts to get through each day. When Lesley’s chemotherapy treatment started (Lesley has had four and has two more to go) I don’t think anyone knew what to expect. Lesley told us that there may be many side effects including losing her hair and I was so proud when she decided to take control of the situation and rather than wait for the rest of her hair to fall out, have her head shaved. As a brother, it came as no surprise to Lesley that I emailed her a lot of photographs to prove she was still beautiful that included Harry Hill, Homer Simpson and Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard!

Not once in all these months has Lesley ever complained. Every telephone call we have is always happy and Lesley, in her selfless, determined and very special way, always talks about others, always asks after me and never about her. I know so many people hide how they are feeling and bottle things up, but I think sometimes you have to take some battles full on; you have to talk openly about things with realism, expectations and also share fears. This is where our family has really come together. My brother-in-law, Martez, and my nephew and niece, James and Lucy, have been fantastic. Both James and Lucy have been studying and sitting their exams and have wanted to make their Mum and Dad proud; and they have. My Mum and Dad, as well as Martez’s family, have been great and looked after Lesley throughout these past months which has been hard at times, but has given so much support to Lesley.

My close friends have been super too and shown their love and support to my sister and my family for which I am very grateful.

I love my sister more than words could ever explain, and I am so humbled by Lesley’s attitude, determination and selflessness that she continues to maintain throughout this difficult time. Lesley’s support, love, guidance and care for me has brought me though so much and even when her life has been turned upside down, this hasn’t wavered. When I am asked about inspiration and what gives me strength in my journey, there is a very simple answer - my beautiful and amazing sister”.


Lesley and I at dinner after the first London Marathon

When Lesley rang me to tell me the news that she was in remission I felt both relieved and fortunate. When I rang my Mum and Dad, Angela and Mike, I could hear in Mum’s voice the relief and tension lifting. It has been very tough for Lesley and also for our family, as I am sure it is for everyone who battles cancer, illnesses and medical conditions. I must just say though, and this will not come as any surprise, that my Mum, Angela, has been simply amazing. 

Lesley looking up at Mum
My nephew, James, and my niece, Lucy, have been brilliant. James recently graduated and Lucy received excellent GCSE results. In the midst of everything else going on around them they continued to work hard on their studies and I am so proud of their achievements and their ability to deal with what has been going on with such maturity and calmness. I know they have given Lesley and my brother-in-law, Martez, so much joy, happiness and support. Despite this being a very hard year, there is a lot to be thankful for and a lot to celebrate. It’s going to take a long time for Lesley to regain her strength, and as a family we are mindful of this and there is still some way to go, but I know we are also very grateful to the wonderful medical staff who have been wonderful throughout Lesley’s fight.

Me looking up at Mum
Martez’s family and my Mum and Dad and family have been remarkable. I haven’t been around to see all the support they have given to Lesley, Martez, James and Lucy, but I think I have a fair idea. It’s been a very difficult year for everyone and when we worry about someone we love, there also comes (amongst many other things) anxiety, emotion, stress and tiredness. It can be draining both physically and mentally, but I think we are all so very lucky that we can now be thankful that Lesley is in remission and everyone can start to take some time out for themselves and concentrate on recharging their batteries.

Friends have been superb. Thank you so much to all my friends who have known when to ring my family, known when those supportive texts and emails will give a boost to my family and for being so kind with their words and messages of support. As a family we really are very lucky.

A few days before finding out Lesley’s wonderful news, it was Friday 31st August, Day 222 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk and the last of the thirty five Lord Lieutenancy counties to walk in to complete my month in Scotland.



For the previous three nights I had been shown extraordinary kindness from Christian at the Carberry Tower Hotel http://www.clarenco.com/venues/carberry-tower/about-carberry-tower/ in Mussleburgh, East Lothian. The kindness to support me on my BRIT 2012 mile walk has been a humbling display of human generosity and with the accommodation for the walk this year being personally funded, support from hoteliers is making life so much easier financially.

With Rick, Abigail, Helen, Eleanor and Polly who joined me together with Rick's wife, and my great friend, Morag, for
a few days in Scotland

For the last week, I have been joined on my BRIT walk by Polly, who I met when walking at Chichester College, and by Helen who is our BRIT photographer. Both Polly and Helen have had tough times. They were both keen to see what it was like to be out on the road so my great friends, Rick and Morag, gave their time with their two beautiful daughters, Eleanor and Abigail, to drive up with Polly and Helen. I continued to stay in a routine and they all met up with me at my walking locations each day to support, to take photographs and have a break. 

I must say a huge thank you to Christian at the Carberry Tower Hotel for supporting the “support vehicle” and for accommodating Rick (to give him some space from the girls – or the other way round) and for allowing Rick to recharge the motorhome batteries and take on water for showers and clean running water. It made life so much easier and I am sincerely grateful to everyone at the Hotel for looking after everyone.


To facilitate their time with me in Scotland, Michael Ayling, Managing Director of South Downs Motor Caravans http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/ kindly gifted a Motorhome for Rick to drive everyone to Scotland in. 

Michael Ayling, Managing Director of South Downs Motor Caravans, who
has generously gifted his time and his vehicles to support both of my London
Marathons, my Three Peaks Challenge for Sport Relief and to enable Polly
and Helen to join the BRIT 2012 mile walk in Scotland and give them both
a much needed break.

Michael supported me on both my London Marathons and the 3 Peaks Challenge for Sport Relief with a Motorhome which I used as a support vehicle or somewhere to sleep. Michael gifted his own time or provided a driver. His support and generosity were crucial to all three of these challenges. As well as being a super supporter of all my endeavours, Michael has remained a great friend of my family and I. I am indebted to this selfless and sincere gentleman who continues to help me on my journey. Michael – thank you so very much!


The welcome from the Borders College was tremendous.
 
Students at The Borders College welcoming me on Day 222 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
After being introduced to students and staff by, I had the opportunity to talk about BRIT and then answer questions before walking 6 miles with students from many of the courses held at the college.
Day 222 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk at the Borders College  my final day in Scotland after walking in each of the 35 Lord Lieutenancy counties
 
It was a super experience to be joined by so many students and to listen to their aspirations, discuss my BRIT vision and ask them for their thoughts. 
 
With a mixture of students attending various courses at the Borders College on Day 222 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
 
Sharing some good stories with students at the Borders College on Day 222 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
I was presented with a jar of the famous Hawick Balls by their Student Mascot and I am sincerely grateful for the warmth, friendship and hospitality that everyone showed me during my visit.
Listening to students from the Borders College who walked six miles with me on Day 222 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
I finished my walk with 585 miles to go and started my drive back to the south.
 
With the Borders College Student Mascot and students on Day 222 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
With a number of rest stops along the way, I arrived home about nine hours later to surprise my Mum, Angela, who has been looking after my cottage during August. It was great to see my Mum and have a catch up; however after spending four hours unpacking the gifted BRIT Land Rover, I was glad to be able to spend a night in my own bed. It always takes a while for me to settle after being away, so I spent Saturday catching up with post and emails. 
On Day 223 I took a bit of time out to say hi to my friends and neighbours at lunchtime before my Dad drove down so we could have a quiet evening together. Later in the day my great friends and next door neighbours, Sarah and Ion, came over and we were also joined by Jeannie, who has been absolutely great at managing my mail and correspondence. 

Mum and Dad left on Day 224 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk and I started to ease into a routine of being back in West Sussex and preparing for a busy week ahead. A month away has given me a lot of time on my own to think about BRIT, our strategy and also my own personal plans for 2013 and I had arranged a number of key meetings to take place during the week.

On Day 225 I spent the day in West Sussex and in addition to walking, used the day to go through all the clothing and equipment I have used and travelled with. The BRIT Fire Fighters Jacket was dropped off with Penny, together with all the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service badges to be sewn on. The washing machine seemed to be on constantly for 48 hours as everything is cleaned and washed ready for the next region of walking. I popped into the local surgery briefly and then came back to walk a little more before the end of the day.


Day 226 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk was a split between Sussex and London. After a morning in West Sussex I then travelled up to London to see Richard Thompson, Chairman of Merlin Elite http://www.merlinelite.co.uk/ who looks after my professional life. It was great to see Richard and his team and to talk through the future plans for 2012 and seek Richard’s advice and counsel. 

After meeting with Richard I then attended a Medical Examination focusing on my urology issues including Bladder, Bowel and Sexual Function. 


On the morning of Day 227, I met one of my BRIT Trustees, Darren Whittingham. Darren is co-founder of Start Judge Gill http://www.startjg.com/ and in addition to gifting his time as a Trustee; Darren has gifted branding and creative support to BRIT since the very beginning of the charity. It was super to discuss ideas and thoughts with Darren and for Darren to give me guidance, support and thoughts on how we move BRIT forward.


My dear friend, the late Baron Robert Reiber MM
Legion d'Honneur, when he visited Arnhem with
me in 2007
On Day 228 I attended the Funeral of a great friend, Baron Robert Reiber MM. It was a celebration of a great man and it was a pleasure for me to meet Robert’s daughters, grandchildren and great-granddaughter.

Robert was a wonderful friend to me and thinking I will not see him again was at first a shock and of course upsetting.

I met Robert whilst I was serving in Chichester and when the Parachute Regimental Association asked to use the Officer’s Mess as their usual meeting place at the Warrant Officer’s and Sergeant’s Mess was being used for a separate occasion. It didn’t take long for Robert and I to form a bond and this may well have been due to my intrigue of why this immaculate and dashing figure was ordering Gin and Tonics in a pint glass. The explanation made perfect sense; if someone does offer a drink, there is clearly more room to add it into a pint glass rather than lose the offer due to lack of glasses or the occasional memory loss later in the evening.

Through Robert my relationship with the Parachute Regimental association grew, and so did our friendships. My grandfather served in Arnhem and when I mentioned that my grandmother was very ill, the Association wrote to her and sent flowers to cheer her up. My grandmother passed away a short time later and my father, Mike, commented that this display of thoughtfulness and kindness gave her so much happiness. It was a gesture that our family has never forgotten and I know Robert was integral to this gesture.

My parents joined me at one of the Association events at Roussillon Barracks and I was delighted they were able to meet Robert. I continued to stay in touch with Robert when I was posted from Chichester. Many years later when I was serving in Germany, I invited Robert and his wife, Nellie, to a Battlefield Tour I had organised at Arnhem for the Royal Military Police Company I was commanding. I wanted to ensure that there was a personal element to the occasion and for them to hear from Veterans of World War II. It was an unforgettable experience and whilst we respected the memories and the conflict, we also celebrated and we laughed. It was a perfect balance.

I remained in touch with Robert and we talked a great deal wherever I was in the world. Not only had we bonded, but we always seemed to talk naturally, openly and honestly. I valued his wisdom immensely and we always laughed at even the dark times and the sad times.

Since our time in Arnhem, wherever I have lived, I have had a photograph of Robert on display, wearing his Regimental Blazer and carrying a replica Tommy Gun with a huge smile on his face. Next to his framed photograph is the World War II Paratrooper Statue I was presented by the Chichester Branch of the Parachute Regimental Association, together with a card from Robert that he wrote to me a long time ago. Furthermore, Robert slipped me a Business Card into my hand one day before I was posted from Chichester and on the back he had written a message. I have treasured this card and his words;

“Pray the sun always shines upon you, may your heart be filled with happiness forever & may your God go with you. Robert”.

My life was the richer for knowing Robert and Nellie. We always found happiness and joy in our conversations and the times we spent together. It was an honour that I shared such a wonderful relationship with Robert and that we were friends. There are very few people in our lives that give unconditional friendship and love, who embody happiness and living life to the full, and who give so much joy to others. Robert was one of these rare friends and I will always remember his sincere and unswerving loyalty, friendship and love.

Last Friday, Day 229 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk, I attended a Medical Examination and assessment in Aylesbury. It was just short of a three hour session and after covering in depth questions about my injuries I was feeling quite exhausted. 


On leaving, the Doctor said to me that it was unlikely that we would met again as I would be continuing further medical examinations at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore. What he also added, which I feel compelled to share, was his kindness to praise my efforts and aspirations to support young people. Over recent months and recent weeks it has hit home more than ever that it doesn’t take very much for anyone to make someone else feel better. This gentleman did and it was very hard to contain emotion when it came when I least expected it.

I am in admiration of the medical services and have the utmost respect for the work they do. For a professional to have taken the time to show interest in BRIT and I on a personal level meant a great deal and it was a very special moment for me.

Last Saturday was Day 230 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk and a day to prepare and pack for the next week away. It has been a very busy seven days with a great deal of emotion. I’m grateful to my family and friends for their support in what has felt like a tougher week than usual.

I am now on 534 miles to go.

With best wishes,

Phil