Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 203 - Fairburn Activity Centre at the Muir of Ord in Ross and Cromarty



Day 203 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk took place in Ross and Cromarty which is a variously defined area in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Ross and Cromarty is shaded green on the map of Scotland below.


There is a registration county and a lieutenancy area in current use and I walked in Ross & Cromarty as I chose the counties of Scotland on my BRIT 2012 mile walk by their Lord Lieutenancy boundaries. 


The region has some of the most spectacular landscapes and among the oldest rock formations in Europe.  The population is very low and the fishing and tourism support the community. 


Today was a very humbling experience for me. I was joined by disabled residents of the Fairburn House Nursing Home and Cubs and Scouts from both Fairburn and Dingwall Scout Groups. I was welcomed so warmly by everybody who had gathered at the Fairburn Activity Centre http://www.fairburnactivitycentre.co.uk/ which is located next to the Nursing Home.  Our six miles today would take place on a country road leading up to the Fairburn Complex and overlooking the most stunning scenery of Ross and Cromarty. 

A very happy start to the day
Fairburn Cub Harriet Sugden



I had the opportunity to meet everyone before we started our walk and after talking to everyone about the BRIT 2012 mile walk we all had photographs taken together. Why I felt so humbled today was that I saw the most positive interaction between two generations who showed so much care, understanding and gentleness to each other. With wheelchair users, both electric and those pushed by nursing staff, we all very naturally worked out a comfortable pace for the walk and it was a pleasure for me to see the Cubs and Scouts take interest in, talk to and listen to some of the residents of the Nursing Home.

All ready to set off with Cubs & Scouts on Day 203 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk Front row from left Nathaniel Elliot,
Ewan Mightens, Ewan MacIvor, Ruaridh MacIvor, Reagan, Connor, Blyth Wilson. Second row: Hamish, Phil, carer
(sorry no name), David, carer (sorry no name), Seth Sugden, Harriet Zoe Mclachlan (hiding). At the back
Lorraine Gillespie, Rachel MacIvor, and Acting District Commissioner Ken Wilson

I was delighted to talk to Hamish and Peter who have been residents for many years and we spoke of their interests and their involvement in community activities. The Adult Volunteers who are UK Scouting Association Leaders were very engaging and I learned a great deal from their knowledge and experiences with the UK Scouting Association.

Thoroughly enjoying myself  and having a great time interacting with from left Anthea MacKenzie, Harriet Sugden, Hamish, Peter, Phil, Lorraine Gillespie, Andrew MacIvor.

I am most grateful to Nicki, Scout Leader of the Fairburn Scout Group and to Anthea who is Scout Leader of the Dingwall Scout Group for coordinating their Cubs and Scouts to join me today. There were also Beavers present for the walk, one from Fairburn and one from Dingwall Scout Groups. I was honoured to be introduced to their Acting District Commissioner, Ken Wilson, and see the positive work of the UK Scouting Association in another county. I was very moved to be presented with the MacKenzie Scarf from the Dingwall Scout Group which I shall treasure as a memory of an inspiring and very happy day.

Wonderful to see the interaction between disabled residents of the Fairburn Home and young cubs and scouts who all joined me on my walk. Front row: Peter, Nathaniel Elliot, Ewan Mightens, Ewan MacIvor, David, Annette. Behind Ruaridh, Connor, Blythe Wilson, Harriet Sugden, Hamish, 2 carers. Back row: mum, Issac Sugden in mum's arms, Seth Sugden, Lorraine Gillespie, Zoe MacLachlan, Nickie Bell, Rebecca Denoon, Anthea MacKenzie, Rachel MacIvor.
 
 

711 miles to go on my BRIT 2012 mile walk.

Best wishes,

Phil