Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 201 - The Isle of Skye; Army Cadet Force and Her Majesty's Coastguard

My day started early so that I could catch the early afternoon ferry to the Outer Hebrides. It was a tough seven miles today and one of the hardest walks on the BRIT 2012 mile walk so far.



Day 201 of my walk took place on the beautiful Isle of Skye. After my visit I can understand why The Isle of Skye was voted 4th Best Island in the world by National Geographic magazine. Skye is a place of outstanding natural beauty and stunning scenery.


There is an abundance of great hiking and outdoor activities throughout the Isle and the islanders showed me an abundance of warmth and hospitality. I stayed at the Duisdale Hotel as a guest of Anne Gracie and Ken Gunn who generously gifted my accommodation and my food. It was an absolute pleasure for me to stay with them and all of their staff were so kind to look after me; www.duisdale.com


The Isle of Skye is the largest and most northerly island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. The Cuillins are a stunning range of rocky mountains that are some of the most difficult in Scotland to climb. Climbers come from all over the world to climb them. The tallest is the Black Cuillin at 992 m (3,255 feet). The Cuillins are considered one of the 40 National Scenic Areas in Scotland.

There are remarkable sights to see. The Skye and Lochalsh area has a high density of archaeological sites and monuments relating to the prehistoric and historic periods. Castle Moil in the south of the Island was reputed to be the tenth century domicile of a Norwegian princess, Saucy Mary, who had a chain stretched from the castle over the narrow Kyle to the mainland. The objective was to exact tolls from passing vessels.



Following the Culloden defeat of 1746, Bonnie Prince Charlie's attempts to escape Redcoat capture are a part of Island folklore. Raasay gave shelter to the fugitive, and Raasay House now stands on the site of a tower burnt down as a reprisal by government troops.

Dunvegan Castle and Gardens, the seat of the Clan MacLeod, holds a Clan MacLeod Parliament every four years to which MacLeod’s from all over the world return to their ancestral home for this special family gathering. Armadale and the Museum of the Isles is a similar magnet for MacDonalds.


Eilean Donan Castle is located in the gateway to Skye and originally the seat of the Clan MacKenzie, has been guarded, purchased and now cared for by a charitable trust established by the Clan MacRae and remains an essential stopover for their homecoming.


Today I was joined by Army Cadet Force Cadets and Her Majesty’s Coastguard. It was a tough walk; it was quick and it was warm, so my body overheated quite quickly. With the inability to control my temperature I took on fluids as quickly as possible to rehydrate. It was a pleasure though, to talk to the Coastguard Volunteers and to the Army Cadet Force and I was delighted that the Vice Lord Lieutenant for Ross and Cromarty, Commander Bill PeppĂ© (OBE, Royal Navy) was able to greet me and joined us for a couple of miles.

Delighted to be accompanied by the Army Cadet Force in the Isle of Skye on the 201st day of walking my BRIT 2012 mile walk

Once the walk was completed I drove on to catch the early afternoon ferry to the Outer Hebrides in preparation for my walk with the UK Scouting Association tomorrow morning in Tarbert on the Isle of Harris.

Great to be supported by the Her Majesty's Coastguard on the Isle of Skye on Day 201 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

As the ferry left the Isle of Skye, the Coastguard Helicopter from Stornaway http://www.stornowaycg.co.uk/ carried out their training hovering over the back of the ferry. It was a breath-taking display of skills from the pilots and the rescue crew and I was in absolute awe. 


Leaving the Isle of Skye for the Outer Hebrides and a Her Majesy's Coastguard Training Exercise on the back of the ferry!





For more information on the Coastguard, follow this link; http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-home/emergencyresponse/mcga-searchandrescue/mcga-theroleofhmcoasguard.htm If you would like to know more about volunteering opportunities, please click here; http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-home/emergencyresponse/mcga-searchandrescue/mcga-volunteering.htm

Remarkable skill from Her Majesty's Coastguard as they carry out
a training exercise on the back of the Hebrides Ferry

It has been a very busy Day 201 and I am grateful to everyone on the Isle of Skye for their kindness, support and assistance.

I am ending today with 723 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil