Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 198 - Linlithgow, West Lothian with the Lord Lieutenant, Provost, Council, Cadets and young homeless people from the Open Door Charity in Livingston










My afternoon walk took place in Linlithgow, West Lothian. 

With the Lord Lieutenant and the Provost in West Lothian on Day 198 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

It was an honour to be greeted by the Lord Lieutenant, Mrs Isobel Brydie MBE and Provost, Tom Kerr. Hannah Cairns, the Events Coordinator from West Lothian Council, had coordinated the walk and given a great deal of her time to invite cadets, members of the community, young people and also a charity from Livingston who support young homeless people. I was also delighted to meet Ian Fleming and fellow Fire fighters from the Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service.

With Fire Fighters from the Lothian and Borders Fire & Rescue Service who supported me on Day 198 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk in West Lothian

I had the opportunity to thank everyone for their support before we set off on the BRIT 2012 mile walk around Linlithgow that took in the beautiful sights of the Loch and the Palace. Throughout the walk I was able to spend time talking to young people and listen to their personal journeys; the difficulties they face and also their aspirations.

It was a privilege to listen and it was a sobering experience to walk in the beauty of Linlithgow, but listen to the plight of the young homeless teenagers from the Open Door Charity http://www.odap.org.uk This link will allow you to view their Hostel video and their Christmas Card appeal http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/Community-life-and-leisure/534/opendoor/

With the Lord Lieutenant, Provost, members of the County Council and young people who supported me on my BRIT 2012 mile walk in West Lothian on Day 198

I will treasure my memories of Linlithgow and am sincerely grateful to the young people for trusting me with and sharing their experiences. I am constantly learning from young people and today most certainly gave me inspiration, determination and drive to build the BRIT Centre of Inspiration. I wish I could invite 2012 potential business leaders so they could see first-hand the vital need for BRIT to be built so they would consider pledging their support to fund the Centre. My challenge now is to interpret the need and the justification for the BRIT Centre as directly and as personably as possible so we can start to provide a lifeline for young people post-trauma at the earliest opportunity.

With homeless young people from the Open Door Charity based in Livingston who came to walk with me in West Lothian on Day 198 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

I wish I could help these young people right now and it is heartbreaking to drive away with the knowledge that these young people need inspiration and I could deliver it through BRIT by harnessing the support of 2012 businesses sharing the costs of the Centre.

I am ending the 198th day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk with 740 miles to go.

Thank you to the community of Linlithgow and West Lothian for your warmth, generosity, hospitality and an unforgettable day.

My very best wishes,

Phil