Friday, July 6, 2012

Days 152 to 164 – Illnesses, BRIT Strategy Meetings, Festival of Speed, Chichester College & Doncaster College for the Deaf


Consistently meeting young people with medical conditions, I often think about how often we don’t see beyond the surface of others. I am constantly educated of just how many illnesses and disabilities are not visible, but exist and impact the lives of young people, along with the lives of those that love and care for them. Many psychological difficulties are also not visible and often, together, they create so much pain, sadness and emotion. The young people that I meet on the challenge often share their stories with me.


What they have experienced is often heart-breaking along with their struggles to overcome trauma, build their self-worth and move on positively with their lives. If, however, you passed by them on the street you wouldn't think anything at all as they look like every other young person. As Antoine de Saint-Exupery said "what is essential is invisible to the eye." Often we see just the surface and not what lies beneath.

While many people are familiar with my story, I often meet people that do not know that I suffered a spinal cord injury. I try to gently introduce the internal injuries with others so as not to shock or put others off, but I try my utmost to talk openly so that young people are hopefully not embarrassed to talk about issues that affect and worry them or add additional stress. Three of these areas I know well and focus on more are bladder, bowel and sexual function damage.

I have no problem in sharing that since coming off the road after the halfway point of the BRIT 2012 mile walk in Manchester I’ve been struggling physically. Once again I found myself with a bladder infection http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Urinary-tract-infection-adults/Pages/Introduction.aspx  I think I get so much energy from being out on the challenge, meeting young people and supporters that it really does enthuse and keep me going. Unfortunately, when I get home and the adrenalin goes, I find myself exhausted and drained. I think my immune system weakens slightly and my body tells me this with infections. Last week was one of the worst for a long time. I also suffered a bout of conjunctivitis which thankfully cleared up quickly, but it’s the bladder infections that absolutely knock me for six and don’t just affect the bladder, energy and strength, but also general mood which can hit lows and make me a lot more vulnerable psychologically. 

I continued to walk though. From Day 152 through to Day 164 I have averaged 6 miles each day and tried to keep the body going and pulling on reserves and looking after myself to ensure I stay on track and don’t fall behind on my miles. 


BRIT Strategy Meeting at Start Judge Gill (Miguel, Martin, Darren and James)

It has been a busy period and as well as seeing the Medical Surgery to go on a course of antibiotics, I’ve been playing catch up in West Sussex with BRIT as a Charity and also focus on our strategy for the next six months. On Friday, 30th June, I walked early in the morning and then went up to London to meet BRIT Trustee Darren Whittingham, BRIT Advisor James Kydd, Martin who runs our BRIT Website & Map and Miguel from Luxon who all met up to discuss the Branding, Social Media and Website strategies. It was a positive meeting and I’m sincerely grateful to everyone for their support to make things happen for BRIT and gift their time and resources.

With my friends from Norton Motorcycles who have been great supporters of BRIT and I

Then it was back to West Sussex for The Festival of Speed at Goodwood. Lord March had invited me up on the Sunday as a guest which maintains a relationship between Goodwood and I as it remains my aspiration to work closely with the Goodwood Estate when we build the BRIT Centre. BRIT Advisor, Stuart Garner, from Norton Motorcycles came to stay with me and it was great to have the opportunity to catch up with Stuart and use him as a sounding board for some of the ideas for the future BRIT strategy. It was also great to catch up with BRIT Mentor, Ben Fogle, and have a good heart to heart about lots of feelings and thoughts. Both Stuart and Ben have become great friends and understand how difficult the challenge is and that I am often away from home and even more often unavailable to attend events. Meeting up is rare and it’s always great to be able to see them.


Day 163 of the Challenge saw me back at Chichester College. I cannot thank Chichester College, and especially Lisa Humphries, enough for their support. They have been with me on this challenge since the start and today, the students, staff and faculty again joined me for a walk to get in my miles, before I had a planning meeting with Lisa to discuss the many ways in which Chichester College can help BRIT.





Danny Pike BBC Radio Sussex
Danny Pike from BBC Radio Sussex came out to join me on the walk. Danny was interviewing me when we were joined by a young woman, Polly, and her mother Alison. Polly shared her struggles with me. Sadly, due to a medical condition, Polly can no longer dance, which was her passion. She planned to study dance in college, but cannot. I was struck, and I think Danny was as well, by Polly’s grace and honesty about what she is going through. I’m trying to get the interview up on my website so you can hear it.

With Polly in Chichester on Day 162 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

While Polly and her mum came out to see me, hoping for some inspiration, it is actually the other way around. When I meet young people like Polly, who are struggling to overcome and have faced such difficulties, I am completely humbled by their strength and courage. It is never easy to be the one that is different and people, through ignorance, can often be quite cruel. My sincere thanks to Polly for coming along to the challenge and sharing her story.

The 164th day of the BRIT 2012 mile walk saw me packing the BRIT gifted Land Rover for another trip to the North. Unfortunately, I have not had much down time and had started to feel unwell again. No surprise that I’ve got another bladder infection. I am starting to wonder if it is the same one that just keeps cycling back!


Day 164 saw me on the road early and driving up from West Sussex to visit the Doncaster College for the Deaf http://www.deaf-trust.co.uk/college  I received such a warm and kind welcome from the students and staff. I spent a great time with the students at the College.

With some of the young people from Doncaster College for the Deaf who walked with me on Day 164 of the BRIT 2012 mile walk

All too quickly it was over and I was back in the Land Rover heading to my hotel, The Wentbridge House, www.wentbridgehouse.co.uk which is beautifully situated and the Hotel and Staff very kindly offered to gift my accommodation. I ended my day by logging into my computer and catching up on emails!


Wentbridge House Hotel

I finished the day with 934 miles to go.

Best wishes,

Phil