Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 150 - Manchester University and Manchester City Football Club


Today was incredible. I started out by going to Manchester University to walk. I had the great pleasure of meeting Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, President and Vice Chancellor of Manchester University. Dame Nancy Rothwell is incredibly busy running the university and being responsible for 37,000 students, the faculties and staff. I was so honoured that she took time out of her packed schedule to come out and meet with me. We had a great time talking about our mutual passion of working with young people and the benefits derived from education.

Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell FRS,
President and Vice-Chancellor of Manchester University

I was delighted to be joined on my walk by so many staff from the University and to be shown around the remarkable campus and facilities.

With Professor Brian Cox at Manchester University
In addition, after my walk I had the opportunity to meet Professor Brian Cox, an opportunity I did not want to miss. Brian was just as he appears on television, intelligent, warm and accessible. Both Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell and Professor Cox were absolutely delightful to meet and talk with during my visit. I felt very welcomed and enjoyed my time at The University of Manchester. I certainly hope to go back at a later date.






Then it was off to Manchester City FC. The staff was friendly and welcoming. I find that once people understand what I am trying to do with the challenge by raising the profile of BRIT then they immediately get on board and are highly supportive and encouraging. When I’m out on the road, often tired and in pain, every bit of encouragement from the people I meet matters and keeps me going. It really does help to know that people are supportive of BRIT and my goal for building a Centre to support our young people post trauma.

At Manchester City on Day 150 of the BRIT 2012 mile walk


I visited Manchester City FC’s Etihad Stadium to complete miles for the challenge. Their facilities are wonderful. An interview that I did with them that is now on their website. In the interview, I noted that young people look up to sports personalities: players, coaches, and management. The clubs I have been to so far also put a lot of work into supporting their local communities through different charity work.

I ended the day with 1006 miles to go!

Best wishes,

Phil