Sunday, May 13, 2012

Days 105 & 106 - Arriving back in the North East, thanks to The Thistle Hotel Group and walking in Redcar, Cleveland


This has been a busy time as I have continued to walk around the North East region of England. 


The North East covers Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear, and Teesside (including parts of North Yorkshire). The only cities in the region are Durham, Newcastle upon Tyne and Sunderland. Other large settlements in the region include: Darlington, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar, South Shields & Stockton-on-Tees.  The aim of the next 10 days was to complete the North East and on the way back to West Sussex, to walk in Harrogate, York and Skipton.

After walking three miles in West Sussex last Monday - 7th May (Day 105), I left for a six hour drive up to Middlesbrough.  Middlesbrough is a large town situated on the south bank of the River Tees in north east England that sits within the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire. The local authority, a unitary authority, is Middlesbrough Borough Council.

I was looked after in Middlesbrough by The Thistle Hotel for six nights and am sincerely grateful to the General Manager, Damon Roberts, for kindly lowering the daily rate to assist in reducing the costs of the challenge for me.   My thanks to the staff of The Thistle Hotel http://www.thistle.com/  for making me feel so welcome. I completed a further three miles on Monday evening in Middlesbrough to ensure I finished the day with 1224 miles to go.

Starting off on day 106 with young people from
 Kirkleatham School, Redcar, Cleveland


With the Head Teacher, staff and young people who
came out to join me on my 8 mile walk in Redcar, Cleveland
On Tuesday 8th May (Day 106) I walked at Kirkleatham School
http://www.redcarclevelandcyptrust.org.uk/family.nsf/service?readform&id=1CCEDF1A161EBF3F802573920057D277 in Redcar, Cleveland. Kirkleatham School is a Special School that provides education provision for 3-19 year olds. The school offers a wide extra-curricular programme to enrich the lives and learning of the young people of the school.
One of the many groups of young people and staff who came
out to join me on Day 106 of my BRIT 2012 Challenge





I had a fantastic day at Kirkleatham School and was joined throughout my walk by many different groups of young people and their super staff who I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with and talking to. 







There has a tremendous atmosphere of fun and excitement and whilst I had been walking, many of the young people had been painting posters which they greeted me with as I finished the walk.  It was a great start to my week and I will have very happy memories to take away from the experience.  After 8 miles there I finished the day on 1216 miles to go.
Greeted at the end of my 8 miles by
young people from Kirkleatham School

Best wishes,

Phil