Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 35 - County Armagh, Northern Ireland

Today I walked in the County of Armagh which is situated in the north-east of the island of Ireland. Adjoined to the south shore of Lough Neagh, it is also one of the thirty-two traditional counties of Ireland, lying within the historical province of Ulster. County Armagh is known as the "Orchard County" because the land is very fertile for apple-growing.
I walked my 10 miles today at The Mall, in the City of Armagh and was hosted throughout the day by the Royal School Armagh. On arrival this morning, I was warmly welcomed by the Headmaster, Paul Crute, together with John Shephard and Spencer Lawson.
  
John Shephard, Mr John Briggs (CEO Armagh Council),
Mrs Freda Donnelly (Mayoress), Spencer Lawson & Paul Crute

I was honoured that the Mayoress, Mrs Freda Donnelly and the Chief Executive of Armagh Council, Mr John Briggs, came down to greet me before my walk and it was a pleasure to spend time talking to them.

Talking with young people at the Royal School Armagh
Before I started the walk I had the opportunity to talk to young people in their classroom and then headed down to The Mall where classes from the Royal School joined me throughout the day as I walked 17 circuits around the historic Mall which was has stunning views of the city.  This gave me the perfect opportunity to talk to the young people about their aspirations and thoughts on lots of subjects. The young people I met today were delightful company and I had a super time.

  
Walking with young people from the
 Royal School Armagh, at The Mall in the
 City of Armagh, County Armagh
Being hosted by schools, colleges or universities is a great way for me to spend time with young people and I am sincerely grateful to Paul Crute, the Headmaster of the Royal school Armagh for his hospitality, generosity and for coordinating my visit today. It was a tough day of walking and 10 miles a day in each county of Northern Ireland for six consecutive days is taking its toll on my legs, but the support I am receiving -each day makes it so worthwhile.
 
Tomorrow I am walking at the Botanic Gardens in Belfast with Queen’s University and I am looking forward to my 10 miles in County Antrim very much.

My thanks to everyone for making my day in County Armagh such a pleasant and positive experience.

1736 miles to go!

Best wishes,

Phil