Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 327 - The London Boroughs of Harrow and Brent & Day 328 - The London Boroughs of Kingston and Richmond with the Army Cadet Force and Harlequins RFC‏


My BRIT 2012 mile blog; sharing encounters and memories from every county of Great Britain and Northern Ireland throughout 2012

2012 BRIT miles with a spinal cord injury; the equivalent of 310 marathon distances in 331 days to support young people post-trauma

Thanks to everyone for supporting me on my toughest challenge 


This month’s BRIT 2012 mile walk is December in London

I can’t quite seem to kick this virus and woke very early after a restless sleep last night. After a shower and being ready for a new day I seem to produce an adrenalin kick pre-walk and meeting the young people, but post walks, it doesn’t take very long for my body to start aching and tiredness kicks in very quickly. I am trying to stay on top of the blog, the emails and the messages that are coming in thick and fast, but it’s taking me ages to concentrate on a few lines of writing and I am feeling pretty tired.

I started this morning with a great catch up with Kate Bosomworth from Speed Communications to discuss the final stages of the BRIT 2012 mile walk.


I then travelled to Grange Primary School in Harrow where I spent time with the young children and staff.
 
With Grange Primary School on Day 327 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
Once again, Kids Company arranged my visit and it was a pleasure to spend time at the school.


From Harrow, I travelled to Brent to meet students and staff at the Ark Academy http://www.arkacademy.org/ in Wembley.

Ark Academy has at its core the pursuit of highest standards possible in education. They believe in high aspirations, high motivation and high achievement for all. Through their extended curriculum and community life they seek to meet the needs of the whole person. Civitas - citizenship - is at their core. They believe in building a community of civic pride and social justice in which all members are equally valued. They are committed to the service of young people and help them play their full part in society.

In light of this they aim to:

·                     Provide every student with the knowledge, skills, self-belief and motivation to be
              successful in their learning and lives

·                     Welcome, value and respect all who come to the school

·                     Build a community based on justice and a sense of personal responsibility

·                     Provide opportunities for all to experience Civitas whilst developing a spirit of 
              tolerance and understanding for all cultures, traditions and faiths

·                     Promote dialogue and co-operation with the wider community

Their driving principles are:

·                     Excellence

·                     Citizenship

·                     Participation

·                     Persistence

Their goal:

Their goal is that all students should be able to access higher education and participate fully in our democratic society.

It was a pleasure to meet the students and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Academy.


On Day 328 I walked with the Army Cadet Force in both Kingston and Richmond.
 
With Army Cadet Force cadets at Richmond on Day 328 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
The Army Cadet Force have been tremendous supporters of my walk this year, particularly during the holidays and weekends when Universities, Colleges and Schools have been closed.
 
Having a great time with Army Cadet Force cadets in Richmond on Day 328 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
I always enjoy my time with the cadets and it was a pleasure to meet the two units in Kingston and Richmond.
 
With the Army Cadet Force cadets in Kingston on Day 328 of my BRIT walk
 
Both walks were absolutely beautiful; the tow path in Kingston along the Thames and the stunning Richmond Park Scenery. We also had time to stop off at the Royal Star and Garter Home for veterans.


At the Royal Star and Garter Home in Richmond on Day 328 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

The day finished with a walk around The Stoop, the home of Harlequins Rugby Football Club http://www.quins.co.uk/ in Twickenham.
 
 
I am sincerely grateful to the club for inviting me on match day and the invitation to walk around the ground at half-time. The standing ovation from their fans as I walked around the ground was humbling and very emotional.
 
Chatting with  afan at the Harlequins Rugby Club on Day 328 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
Thank you to everyone at Harlequins for making the day such a special one and giving me such a warm welcome.

Walking around The Stoop - the home of Harlequins Rugby Club on day 328 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

A busy couple of days and I am finishing Day 328 with 12 miles to go.

My very best wishes,

Phil