Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Day 323 & 324 - London Boroughs of Bromley & Greenwich, support from the Armed Forces at Whitehall and Mencap in Tottenham‏


My BRIT 2012 mile blog; sharing encounters and memories from every county of Great Britain and Northern Ireland throughout 2012 

2012 BRIT miles with a spinal cord injury; the equivalent of 310 marathon distances in 331 days to support young people post-trauma 

Thanks to everyone for supporting me on my toughest challenge 


This month’s BRIT 2012 mile walk is December in London

I have had two very emotional days for many reasons. I’m not feeling quite right at the moment and it’s definitely more than fatigue as I feel quite on the edge emotionally and although I’m keeping everything together, these last couple of days have been very hard to get through. I am feeling very cold and achy, so not too sure what’s going on, but it’s been such a rollercoaster over the last 48 hours that I am focused on what’s happening next to keep ticking over.


On Monday I started Day 323 at Eltham College http://www.eltham-college.org.uk/ in the London Borough of Bromley. I received a very warm welcome from Paul Henderson, the Headmaster, and it was a real pleasure to be back at my old school. I attended Eltham College between 1980 and 1988, before leaving at 16. They were quite tough years at home and a lot of difficulties at home were reflected in my behaviour at school. I sometimes feel a little embarrassed about the way I acted and the trouble I caused, however yesterday I took a huge amount of strength from the kind words offered by many of my teachers who remain at the school.

With the Headmaster of Eltham College and the Mayor of Bromley on Day 323 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

We spoke a little about those years and those teachers, who were at the time made aware of the difficulties at home, showed compassion, understanding and gave me a great deal of comfort yesterday. So many years ago, but I am still very sensitive to those memories and what I appreciated more than anything, were the teachers who went out of their way to tell of their pride and happiness in what I am achieving now.
 
With students at Eltham College on day 323 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
It takes very little to make someone feel better about themselves and I really appreciate the words they chose and the way in which they spoke them as returning to the school always has mixed emotions.


 
I am grateful to Councillor Michael Turner, the Mayor of the London Borough of Bromley http://www.bromley.gov.uk/ for joining us in the morning, together with students from the school, and it was great to walk round the school grounds with both staff and students.


From Mottingham I then drove on to the London Royal Borough of Greenwich http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/site/ where I spoke at the University of Greenwich.
 
The Mayor of Greenwich & some of the students & staff of the University of Greenwich who joined me on my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
I then went on to walk with both staff and students around the Old Royal Naval College http://www.ornc.org/ , the National Maritime Museum http://www.rmg.co.uk/ and at the foot of the stunning Royal Observatory http://www.rmg.co.uk/royal-observatory/ and Greenwich Park.


I am grateful to Christine and the staff and students of the University of Greenwich http://www2.gre.ac.uk/ who welcomed me together with the Councillor David Grant, the Mayor of the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
 
A cold Day 323 of my BRIT 2012 mile wlak in the London Borough of Greenwich
 
I thoroughly enjoyed spending time waking with both staff and students and seeing many of the famous and beautiful Greenwich landmarks.
 



On Day 324 I walked at Whitehall and Horse Guards. My great friend, Lieutenant Colonel John Maddison MBE RN (Royal Navy) had coordinated the day with Captain Keith Blount RN who is the MA (Military Attaché) to the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff.

Supported on my BRIT 2012 mile walk by the Armed Forces service chiefs

I was absolutely humbled to have Senior Officers from all three of the Services welcoming and joining me as we walked at Whitehall.
 
Joined and supported on my BRIT 2012 mile walk by Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nicholas Houghton GCB CBE ADC Gen
 
It was a great pleasure for me to meet and spend time with, General Sir Nicholas Houghton GCB CBE ADC Gen, the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope GCB OBE ADC, First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff, General Sir Peter Wall KCB CBE ADC Gen, Chief of the General Staff and Air Vice-Marshal B M North OBE MA RAF, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff.

Joined and supported on my BRIT 2012 mile walk by General Sir Peter Wall KCB CBE ADC Gen, Chief of the General Staff

The opportunity to spend time with each of the Senior Officers is rare and I valued their time and the conversations that we enjoyed. This public display and mark of their combined support is a huge boost to BRIT and I; however it was also an opportunity for me to thank them for the tremendous support I have received throughout the year from the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and many Cadet Forces in a vast number of counties.

Joined and supported on my BRIT 2012 mile walk by Air Vice-Marshal B M North OBE MA RAF, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff

From the Ministry of Defence Main Building, I crossed the road to Horse Guards where I was greeted by a good friend and former colleague, Major General George Norton CBE.
 
Joined and supported by General Officer Commanding of London District, Major General George Norton, at Buckingham Palace
 
General George is the Major-General commanding the Household Division and he commands the troops of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom. He is also the General Officer Commanding of London District.
 
With Commodore Alex Burton RN
 
I was also joined by Commodore Alex Burton RN, another very good friend and it was an absolute pleasure to spend time together as we walked through Horse Guards, along St James’ Park lake and up to Buckingham Palace.
 
An amazing Day 324 at Whitehall
 
It was a very special day for me and one I shall treasure.


I then left for the London Borough of Haringey where I visited the Mencap Centre http://www.mencap.org.uk/ in Tottenham.
 
Wonderful welcome from the Mencap Centre in Tottenham on Day 324 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk
 
I was met by an inspirational lady called Angie De Spong who has worked at the Centre for seven years. Angie was a delight to talk to and she and her staff gave me a very warm welcome. I was fascinated to hear of the wide variety of projects that Angie both coordinates and fundraises for as an independent charity. I was sincerely grateful to be given the privilege of meeting the carers and the adults who are supported. 

At the Mencap Centre in Tottenham on Day 324 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

A very busy two days and I ended Day 324 with 26 miles to go.

My very best wishes,

Phil