Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 273 – UK Scouting Association at Llangollen in Derbyshire




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The last few days have been tough health wise. I was battling a bladder infection that really knocked me for six and trying to cope with an upset stomach that has lasted quite a while. With no bladder or bowel function, this is one of my worst fears as there is very little I can do to prevent anything happening when I am walking.

It’s so easy to write, but hard to explain to someone if things go wrong. The problem with these kinds of potential incidents is not knowing the signs to prevent anything happening. My walk with the Scouts on Sunday (Day 273) was cut short as it’s not so much about me feeling embarrassed, but how I would worry about their perception of me; I hope to leave young people I meet feeling happy, interested in BRIT and more understanding of my aspiration to support young people post-trauma, so I would prefer that their lasting impression is not about me having some kind of accident.


Day 273 did work out well as I was delighted to be invited to join the Llangollen Scout Group as they canoed and kayaked along the Llangollen Canal http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/llangollen-canal

On the water in Llandudno with the UK Scouting Association on Day 273 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

The Llangollen Canal is a navigable canal crossing the border between England and Wales. The waterway links Llangollen in Denbighshire, north Wales, with Hurleston in south Cheshire, via the town of Ellesmere, Shropshire. In 2009 a eleven-mile section of the canal from Gledrid Bridge near Rhoswiel through to the Horseshoe Falls, which includes Chirk Aqueduct and Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO.


A view of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct which carries the canal over the River Dee is a stunning sight. This remarkable feat of canal engineering is 125 feet high, and the canal is unprotected on one side, giving the impression of a sheer drop from a narrowboat, canoe or kayak.


Crossing the Aquaduct at Llangollen in Denbighshire with young girls from the UK Scouting Association

Talking to a young scout who was also an Olympic Torchbearer for London 2012

The waterway, from which the modern canal takes its name, was built when work to complete the Ellesmere Canal was halted in the early 19th century. The Ellesmere Canal was to be a commercial waterway that linked the Port of Liverpool to the West Midlands, however, due to a variety of problems, such as rising costs and rival competition, the scheme was never finished as intended. As the waterway never reached its proposed main source of water at Moss Valley, Wrexham, a feeder channel was constructed along the side of the Vale of Llangollen to the River Dee; the work created the Horseshoe Falls at Llantisilio.


Horseshoe Falls at Llantisilio

The Llangollen line became the primary water source from the River Dee for the central section of the incomplete Ellesmere Canal. As such it was not built as a broad-gauge waterway but as a navigable feeder branch. Eventually the Ellesmere Canal became part of the Shropshire Union network in 1846.

Having a very happy time with the UK Scouting Association on Day 273 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

In the 1980s, British Waterways took the decision to rename the surviving central sections of the Ellesmere Canal as the Llangollen Canal. As a rebranding of Britain's industrial waterways as leisure destinations, it has encouraged usage and promoted restoration. The Llangollen Canal is now looked after by the Canal & River Trust. A link to their website to find out more about their work and how you may wish to support them is here; http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/llangollen-canal


The Scouts from Llangollen http://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en-gb/DNAP-8RSENF were great fun to spend time with and their adult instructors were superb. Their professionalism, enthusiasm and dedication to their young scouts was a pleasure to observe and they organise outdoor activities every weekend. With the Llangollen Canal on their doorstep, they frequently take young scouts out kayaking and canoeing.

Super support from the Scouts at Llangollen in Denbighshire on Day 273 of my BRIT walk(1)

It was a delight to see the confidence of the young scouts grow whilst out on the canal under the excellent supervision and safety of the Adult Instructors and to see how they respected the water, the countryside and other canal users. 

Walking with Scouts on Day 273 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk

I’m sincerely grateful to the Adult Instructors for being so understanding to cut the walk with the young scouts short to save me any embarrassment and to look after me so well throughout the day. I haven’t felt so shattered for a long time and the bladder infection and stomach cramps seemed to have drained me of energy, so a day on the water using my upper-body, followed by a short walk gave me time to gain some strength back.

With best wishes,

Phil