Sunday, August 5, 2012

Personal Message to BRIT Trustees, Young People, Friends & Supporters








It’s now the early hours of the morning and I am currently overnighting in a gifted hotel in Peebles, Tweeddale prior to the 197th consecutive day of my BRIT 2012 mile walk. The 8th month (Scotland) was always going to be tough with 35 Lord Lieutenancy counties to walk in 30 days. This is a daily back to back challenge and after the setback of viruses and bladder infections, I am now going to up the mileage to ensure I stay on track to complete the walk by mid/late December. What is tough though, is finishing the walk followed by a long drive to the next location, and then starting an evening of emailing, blogging, tweeting and making sure that the BRIT strategy is driven forward with the support of our BRIT friends who gift their support to make things happen.

It’s hard to sometimes get the message across of just how tough this challenge is. By far it is the hardest I have ever embarked on and this is largely due to the longevity of the challenge. It has also become apparent in more recent weeks that due to the time since sustaining my injury and all the physical challenges in between, the extent of my injuries are less obvious. I also tend to gloss over the difficulty as I need to remain completely focused, but have started to explain that one mile for me (or someone with a spinal cord injury of my type) is the equivalent of 3 to 4 times that of someone without. This is therefore a 7000 to 8000 mile challenge in distance and will be the equivalent of approximately 310 Marathon distances in 330 days. It’s tough.

My body is coping, however when I experience very emotive days with young people, as well as feeding my determination to make BRIT happen, my time with young people can also make me feel tired mentally as I am constantly processing what I am listening to and processing the experiences. Young People have it tough and every day I am reminded of this by seeing first-hand just how difficult life can be for Young People and listening to them and understanding why they feel despair and are in desperate need for help and support.


The BRIT 2012 mile walk is getting there and I believe that by keeping our powder dry, we will have our time and we will gain support from businesses. I’ve been watching London 2012 as much as I can and am very aware that the time to ask has to be right and cannot be overshadowed by another event. We need to captivate Great Britain and we need to do it in a visionary and unique way. Legacy is a word I hear a great deal, but I feel that to deliver and create a legacy, there must be a need, a justification and we need empathy for our cause. I have not met anyone that does not want BRIT to happen, but I need to turn my miles into money to fund the BRIT Centre of Inspiration. We are unique in our approach and I am proud that the only overhead the charity has is the website costs, however our strategy needs to be smart and a great deal of work is going on behind the scenes to prepare us to take BRIT to the next level.

BRIT is not just a sports legacy; it is a visionary legacy aspiration including themes from every sector of society to support young people post-trauma who desperately need inspiration. We must deliver BRIT as many of their lives are not and will not improve without being inspired and provided with a lifeline. I know this as the BRIT 2012 mile walk, in every county of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, is confirming the stark reality of just how severe the situation is for thousands upon thousands of young people.

We are The British Inspiration Trust. The word "inspire" comes from the Latin word "inspirare" meaning "to breathe life into". We need to breathe life into & inspire young people now before it is too late and every day that passes by without a BRIT Centre, we are losing more and more young people who cannot cope with the difficult and dark days they have to endure. We need to make BRIT happen.

Proposed Drawing of the BRIT Centre of Inspirational Excellence

I appreciate that receiving the BRIT Blog may seem a little “Groundhog Day” when you read them, but I can promise you that every day is different as I am walking with young people with very different stories; the only thing in common is that they need vital support as soon as possible. I cannot change their lives right now and I wish I could. All I can do is hope that there will be a point this year when the BRIT 2012 mile walk will be acknowledged; not for its toughness on me, but that it has confirmed just how tough it is for young people and that if businesses want to inspire, then they have the power to create and build a legacy to not only change lives, but to save lives.

I just wanted to say that I will not stop until I have built BRIT; no matter how long it takes. I’m prepared for the long haul (although I hope it is a short haul) and I am prepared for the challenge and am prepared for this walk. We have no sponsors, no BRIT funds going towards the challenge and yet it is working. If you’d like to join me on the Challenge, please do, but I’m afraid there is no room in the car;

The Packing List

·                     8 pairs of trainers (7 pairs of New Balance trainers & 1 pair of Merrell trainers)

·                     BRIT Fire Fighters Jacket

·                     Waterproof Fire Fighters Jacket

·                     5 x Cold Weather Jackets (varying thicknesses)

·                     2 x Severe Wet Weather Jackets

·                     2 x Day Jackets

·                     4 x Cold Weather Breathable T-Shirts

·                     2 x Charity T-Shirts

·                     11 x Pairs of Trousers (various thicknesses and weights)

·                     4 Charity t-shirts ( Prince’s Trust, RNLI, PAPYRUS)

·                     16 x Pairs of Socks

·                     16 x Pairs of Underwear

·                     2 x Wrist Bands to assist with reducing over-heating

·                     2 x Laptop Bags

·                     6 x Spare Stoppers for Sticks

·                     5 x Spare Walking staffs (1 x Prince’s Trust, 2 x Plain, 1 x Children's Trust and 1 x  
              BRIT 2012 Challenge Staff)

·                     1 x Umbrella

·                     1 x Waist-height Walking stick

·                     1 x Snow Shovel

·                     43 x Bottles of Water

·                     17 x Bottles of Fruit Juice

·                     8 x Cans of Energy Drink (Sparkling)

·                     15 x Bottles of Energy Drinks (Soft)

·                     19 x Energy Shakes

·                     89 x Bottles of Lucozade

·                     3 x Flasks

·                     1 x Wheel Chair (for contingency)

·                     3 x Boxes of BRIT Books

·                     1 x Box of BRIT Badges

·                     Toiletries x 3

·                     2 x BRIT Number plates

·                     5 x Boxes of Single Use Catheters (30 per box)

·                     1 Bag of catheters

·                     5 x Boxes of Surgical Gloves

·                     25 x Boxes of Medication

·                     6 x Boxes of Vitamins

·                     4 x Packs of Berocca

·                     1 x Emergency Box of Surgical Gloves & Lubricating Jelly

·                     1 x  Pill box

·                     1 x Box full of daily Vitamin Pills

·                     1 x Survival First Aid Kit

·                     3 x Water Bottles

·                     1 x In Car-Charger

·                     1 x Power Inverter

·                     1 x Storm Shelter

·                     2 x BRIT banners




I am approaching the 200th day of the BRIT 2012 mile walk and would not be at this stage of the BRIT Journey without the support of the BRIT Trustees, Young People, Friends and Supporters. I am unable to pick up the phone or even drop a line as often as I would like, but I want to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for all your commitment, support, friendship and guidance.

With my very best wishes,

Phil