Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 195 – South Ayrshire



With 766 miles to go, Day 195 was hosted by the Ayr community in South Ayrshire.  My six miles walk around Ayr was planned by members of South Ayrshire Council and staff of the Citadel Leisure Centre very kindly hosted a reception to greet me on my arrival.

It was a pleasure to meet the Deputy Lord Lieutenant, John Hamilton, The Provost, Helen Moonie, and the Tourism and Leisure Portfolio Holder, Councillor Bill Grant.


Just about to set off on my BRIT 2012 mile walk with  Standing (left to right) Liam (Strathclyde Police), Paul Scully (SAC), Roger Hunter (Citadel), Bob Chandler (Veterans First Point Ayrshire), John Wardrope, Provost Helen Moonie (South Ayrshire), Private Sanchez (6 SCOT), Phil, Deputy Lord Lieutenant John Hamilton, Private Carrie (6 SCOTS), Adrian Nash, Amanda Nash (SAC), Scott Wardrope (Scottish Association for Children with Heart Disorders), Chris Campbell (SAC), Shelby (Strathclyde Police). Kneeling/sitting (Left to right) Nicole Watt (SAC), James Cron (Citadel), Councillor Bill Grant, Lindsey Lamont (SAC), Jamie McCowan (Paralympics GB), Scott McCowan (Paralympics GB), Colin Duthie (SAC).





Colin Duthie was integral to the organising of the day. Colin is an amputee and is the Additional Support Needs and Performance Officer at South Ayrshire Council.  Colin is an exceptionally inspirational man who has been involved in charity work and supporting young people for many years. Colin had invited two remarkable young brothers who are both going to be representing Great Britain at the Paralympics. It was a pleasure to meet the young people Colin had invited and I was delighted that Colin joined me in his hand-bike throughout the day as I completed my 6 miles.

With Colin in his handcycle who was pivotal to the day and with the Deputy Lieutenant and members of Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Service

The Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Service came out to continue the County Fire & Rescue Service support and I am sincerely grateful to them and to the Strathclyde Police for joining me throughout the day.

With Fire Fighters from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service

At the halfway point, we stopped off at the Robert Burns Museum which is set in a beautiful location on the outskirts of Ayr and we then went back to the coastline through stunning scenery to follow the coastal path back to the Leisure Centre.
Stopping off at halfway on Day 195 of my BRIT 2012 mile walk at the
Robert Burns Museum (with Colin and Police Officers from Ayr
who joined me for the whole day)

I am mindful that this was a Saturday and everyone who supported me in Ayr were giving up their time on a weekend. It was a wonderful community atmosphere and it was a day I shall treasure. I am looking forward to staying in touch with Colin who I learnt a great deal from and know will be a great friend and supporter to BRIT; he is an amazing man.

I ended the day with 760 miles to go.

With best wishes,

Phil